Ian1783

Ok, Not A Leather Machine, But Worth A Look...

I picked up a new-to-me sewing machine at a garage sale last week. I'd never seen one like it, and thought, from the complicated foot mechanism (I couldn't see much in the dim light of the storage shed where it sat for years), that it may be something used for leather.

It's a Singer 72W12 Hemstitcher. These are, apparently, pretty rare. It's for creating a particular style of decorative stitch: and old-school (once hand done), vintage-linen stitch.

What I thought others here on LW might take note of (other than the coolness factor for those who just dig vintage machines), is the wrought-iron stand and the thick, solid-wood top. I picked this up for a song, and while I'll keep it as is (after putting a few hours into it - cleaning, adjusting, etc.), I thought it showed how some finds can translate to use as parts machines (there was a thread here about How Best to Make a Table Top).

This should fit any number of machines. The wood top lends a nice vibe.

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

post-34669-0-60886700-1381694633_thumb.j

It's a Singer 72W12 Hemstitcher. These are, apparently, pretty rare. It's for creating a particular style of decorative stitch: and old-school (once hand done), vintage-linen stitch.

Ian

I picked up a similar machine, a Singer 72W19, at an auction back in November of 2008. It was complete as far as I could tell, and just needed cleaned up. I advertised it a little in as-is condition, and in January of 2009, a middle-aged couple drove straight-through and straight-back in a Minivan from Salt Lake City Utah to get it. They were tickled to get it, but admitted that the "drive-til-you-get-there" kind of road trip wasn't as much fun as they remembered from back in their younger days. LOL. And they were only half way through it when they said it! They were here just long enough to load it, then off they went.

I've had my eye on a Singer Industrial Treadle Stand that is similar to the one in your photo, and finally talked the owner into selling it to me yesterday. I have to go pick it up tomorrow and see for sure what I got. He had stuff stacked all over and around it, but I measured the cut-out at 7 x 18 7/8, so it will take several old machine types. It has the flywheel and pitman rod missing (removed for electric motor use) like yours, but mine also has the treadle plate missing. It's got the bobbin winder and knee lift assembly. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, but I snag those old cast iron industrial treadles when I can. I use my Singer 31-15 in one.

CD in Oklahoma

post-7979-0-90808800-1381697117_thumb.jppost-7979-0-90726400-1381697428_thumb.jp

Edited by cdthayer

Yes, CD, your 72W19 is pretty much the same as my 72W12, though I'm sure there must be an added feature or upgrade. I'm loving the treadle. Made for industrials? I see it was shortened.

I see these 72W's (having now done a little research) going for quite a bit (asking prices, in some cases, over 2K). Seems a lot for a machine with such a narrow use.

Another feature of my 72W13, one that might interest leather workers, is the motor: it is an industrial, but is meant for slower speeds for the hemstitch - usable, perhaps, for leather sewing.

And a question: can the pulleys used on the hemstitcher, originally for the round-leather treadle belt, be used with more modern belts?

Ian

SF Bay Area

Google hemstitcher or hemstitching. I have my machine working, as far as I know, but it's missing one set of tension disks, so I can only get it to sew one needle at a time.

It uses two needle, two bobbins. It has "piercers" - one is an auxiliary piercer that preps the hole for the needles. The needles group with the second piercer and both, along with that second piercer enter the hole prepped for it, widen it, then stitch the hole open. You get a chain of small holes sewn into the fabric. Vintage linens often had these. Or, at least what I recall. Quite a process.

If I get mine going completely (and I should, soon), I'll post pics.

Ian

SF Bay Area