OTKentucky

Handle plaiting

I have many of the plaiting and braiding books and I still can't get the hang of covering handles with braided leather from the written descriptions. I have seen several videos on utube and other sites showing whip braiders doing all sorts of wonderful braiding with as many as 16-24 strands. Hey I want to start small and work my way up. I would love to see a tutorial, preferably a video of someone covering a handle in a 4 strand diamond braid. I feel that I should start small them move up by twos, to a 6 then an 8 etc... Then hopefully after mastering this I can be able to decipher the written instructions to attempt the more difficult handle braids.

Does anyone here have such a tutorial or know where to find one. Or maybe someone would like to make one to help out the newbies such as me. :o )

Thanks in advance for the help...you all do such wonderful work and I hope to maybe

someday be just half as talented as most of you.

Bill

There is a little math involved, if your using a 1/8 inch strand and your handle is 1 inch in circumference then you would need 8 strands minimum to cover the handle. If your only using 4 strands, 1/8 inch, your circumference is 1/2 inch or about the size of a pencil. Did you see this tut at the top pf the page:

Handle Covering

Edited by LBbyJ

There is a little math involved, if your using a 1/8 inch strand and your handle is 1 inch in circumference then you would need 8 strands minimum to cover the handle. If your only using 4 strands, 1/8 inch, your circumference is 1/2 inch or about the size of a pencil. Did you see this tut at the top pf the page:

Handle Covering

Yes sir I think I understand the math involved and you handle covering technique where you "interweave" is very unique and I commend you for coming up with it. However, I am wanting to learn to to hold the strands in my hands braiding them together much like the whip makers do when covering their cores. I just wanted to see some tutorials where someone uses less strands.

Thank you for your response

get on youtube and look up whip making and you will find several good tutorials.

get on youtube and look up whip making and you will find several good tutorials.

Thank you for the advice. I have searched Youtube and the only video clips that

I cant find are ones where at least 12 to 16 strands are being used. Quite honestly

that many strands confuse me. I am wanting to start small and am looking for a 4 to 6 strand. Have you seen any that start with smaller strands???

Bill

While it isn't whipmaking, per se, here's a pictoral tute on a 4 strand round braid. Myriam does this over a core, so I suppose it's pretty close to a plaiting a handle with 4 strands.

http://myriam.dakotabraiding.com/Tutorials/Leash/Leash.html

Hmmm... I found one, where the guy uses string that is flat to show you how it's done. Just not around a core. The technique is the same when putting it around a core. The strands that are going behind like he shows would go behind and around the core.