Sign in to follow this  
troy

Best rawhide for making ropes?

Planning to make another rawhide rope, but would like it if this one does'nt break.

So far I've used home made rawhide from the red deer, which can be quite thin in places - what sort of rawhide should I be using. Am tempted to get some cow rawhide like that used on saddle horns.

Any body got any suggestions?

Planning to make another rawhide rope, but would like it if this one does'nt break.

So far I've used home made rawhide from the red deer, which can be quite thin in places - what sort of rawhide should I be using. Am tempted to get some cow rawhide like that used on saddle horns.

Cattle

Contact Bill Confer at Tejas Ind. 1-806-363-7232

Tell him you need a full dehaired hide to make a reata from.

He will know what you need.

Good Luck

I guess cow or bull are the best.

Enrique

If you can pick a hide from a cow that died of a combination of age and starvation without to many brands. Holstiens from a dairy are good as they are old and blemish free for the most part. And they are big. I've never built a riata as the need for long string keeps evading me. Someday. I heard from one fellow that buys I believe are split bull from Bill Confer at Tejas and he's cutting string for Riatas and braiding 4 and 6 stranders without splitting.Brad

Edited by curlyjo

I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to give me a price range for a full hide from confer. I'm just looking for an idea of price before I waste his time on the phone. Thanks in advance.

Just give him a call....hes really helpful and wont feel like you are wasting his time. You can even email him and he will forward you his whole price list. It covers everything from unborn calf all the way up to full size bull hides.

CW

I think I paid around $150 but it could have been more. Best thing would be to email him or call.