Double U Leather

One Final Floral Portfolio....at Least For A While

Here's one more floral portfolio notebook. This is the last one on order for a while. I think it turned out pretty good minus the boo boo's. There's one sure enough oops that a customer will never see, but is glaring to me. :bawling: Now it's 3 rope cans and a saddle. As always, any critiques or comments are welcome. Be blessed gang.

post-7660-019145600 1320420234_thumb.jpg

post-7660-093290800 1320420244_thumb.jpg

Very nice! Love it! :specool:

Looking good! What do you line these with? And where can I get some?

Very nice! I like the way you were thinking outside the box with your pattern layout! Nice tooling!

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them.

Casey....don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you....LOL

Drphil....I use a 2-3 oz. Royal something or other from Tandy for my liner material.

very nice. clean. did you add any stain or dye, is that all natural?

I think you need to change your name, this doesn't look like the work of a "Rookie"! Seriously, very nice work, pleasing to look at and I am sure that the owner will be doing that with pride, for a lot for years to come.

Bob

Dragon....I put 2 coats of olive oil on it, followed by Clear Lac, followed by dark brown antique, the a coat of Tan Coat. I talked with a friend of mine who does some awesome work about how to make the antique lighter than what I've done in the past. He simply said lots of elbow grease when you wipe off the excess. The finish part turned out exactly like I wanted it to.

Bob....thanks for the compliments. I've thought about changing my name to "Dead Cow Molester", but that just doesn't sound quite right...LOL.

Beautiful work Wayne. Have a question for you, how dry did you let your antique get before applying Tankote, and how much more color did you get off with the Tankote?

Terry

Thanks Terry. I probably let it dry for an hour or so after I wiped off all the excess antique. I put a double coat of Clear Lac on it knowing that I was going to really rub on it trying to get up all of the excess. Then I suppose it was an hour give or take before I put the Tan Kote on. There was some that came off with the Tan Kote but not alot because I had gotten a bunch off when I was getting the excess off initially. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again for the compliment.

Quick update on this notebook...I delivered it to the customer at the AQHA World Show this past week, and he was over the top thrilled with it. And, in a matter of a couple days, 3 other people who saw it wanted one also. Hopefully, they will follow through and really order them. Anyway, all is good.

Mind if I ask you a question leatherrookie? You make such nice notebooks that I got inspired and decided to try one of my own (and probably make a complete hash out of it, but have fun doing it anyway).

Getting to the point, I bought a kit to give notebooks/address books a try, or to at least to use as a pattern until I figure out what I am doing. I took a look at the veg-tan in the kit for the outside cover yesterday, and it's a piece of neck, I guess. Considerable texture,and all over--not a "clean" spot bigger than about a square inch. Is it worth trying to turn into a notebook cover and just tool the entire surface, including the spine, to disguise the wrinkles, or should I use it as a pattern and cut a piece from something smoother and less likely to be stretchy?

Very nice tooling!!thumbsup.gif Did you just use olive oil like you buy at the store?

Thanks, ~New Leathercrafter

Again, thanks for the kind words everyone. I really appreciate them.

Winter....I'm not sure what to say about your leather, not being able to see it. I do know that poor quality leather will turn into a poor quality finished product. No matter how awesome someone tools or stamps, if the quality of the leather isn't good, it will really take away from the expertise and time a person puts into it. I tried to take a shortcut this past winter on a wallet and bought a kit. I figured I was way behind in the shop, a kit with everything pre-cut and pre-punched would save me at least several hours, and the fact that it was only a small project, I went for it. BAD MISTAKE. The leather wasn't good, the holes didn't line up right, just a bad deal all the way around. Lesson learned. I really like the web special sides of Hermann Oak from Springfield Leather. Clean, good leather. And, as I make things from scratch, I gain a better understanding of construction. I learn along the way, and am able to keep tweeking things to get exactly what I want, not what somebody running the computer or die cutting machine thinks I want. Just my 2 cents.

New leather.....Yes. The olive oil I use is right off the shelf at my local grocery store. I can't tell you the brand name, but it's extra virgin olive oil.

Edited by leatherrookie

Here's one more floral portfolio notebook. This is the last one on order for a while. I think it turned out pretty good minus the boo boo's. There's one sure enough oops that a customer will never see, but is glaring to me. :bawling: Now it's 3 rope cans and a saddle. As always, any critiques or comments are welcome. Be blessed gang.

You are SUCH a rookie! :thumbsdown:

Seriously, NICE work, as always!

Hilly

Edited by Hilly

Exactly what I needed to know. I'll toss the cover and lining that came with the kit into the Scout box for the Troop to mess around with and cut a new piece.

Hey Rookie, I have to agree with Bondo Bob.....you're not a rookie any longer! Your work has really progressed. Personally I like the name "Dead Cow Molester". Wish I'd have thought of it first, LOL! Good job!

Bobby

Thanks Bob. I really appreciate it. My work is still a long ways from being considered "master" level though. I'll look into a change of screen names....LOL

Ok thanks! Again great job on the note book cover.And you are not a rookie your work is great!