Three Gun

10 meter single piece dog training lead

I recently purchased a 10 meter (32 ft.) long leather dog training lead. It is "ONE CONTINUOUS" piece of leather about 5/8 inch in width and about 3/8 inch in thickness. Does anyone know how these are "cut" from a hyde? At first I thought that the lead was several pieces glued together as there is no stiching, however after inspecting every linear inch of the lead there are no seams.

Maybe it was cut like lace and then stretched straight, or there are some really big cows some where...

Maybe it was cut like lace and then stretched straight, or there are some really big cows some where...

I like the "big cow" theory!!

Is it a solid piece of leather, or is it China-made predigested leather bits with glue, like leather particleboard? Does it say "genuine leather" on it, or does it say "top grain leather"? Can you see the flesh side?

The lead is clearly a "solid" piece of leather. The underside is the "flesh" side. There is no writing on the lead. If I recall the site that offers the dog training equipment stated that the lead was genuine leather. The supplier is a very reputable company that deals primarily with police k-9 / police dept. sales. I am familiar with the "leather particleboard" junk. This would never stand up to the forces exerted by a 100 pound dobermann or a 130 pound Shepard.

Three Gun

It has to be 'spiral cut' if it is a single piece. I don't know about the guys in Texas, but we don't grow cows that big over here in the UK LOL

(can you imagine the price of leather if we did?).

Ray

Maybe GM has a place after all...

Mystery sloved!!

Three Gun!!

that is a big cow ....but still not large enough to get a piece of the back 32 ft long.

I know this is an old thread, but never did see it answered clearly.

The spiral cut answer is close. If you take a side/hide and round the "corners" you can start at a corner and cut all the way around the side almost as many times as you need to get a continuous strip. You then can straighten it.

Good luck

Tom

It has to be 'spiral cut' if it is a single piece. I don't know about the guys in Texas, but we don't grow cows that big over here in the UK LOL

(can you imagine the price of leather if we did?).

Ray

Maybe GM has a place after all...

As the Baby Belle cheese adverts says "we need a bigger bucket"