TN leather

Dried Out Edges?

Ok I'm finishing out a knife sheath, and wet molded it to the knife last night. I knew the leather straps were quite dried out from the dye, but when I wet the sheath the straps bristled out at the edges (with lots of the little fibers sticking out.) I had finished the edges of the straps prior to assembly using gum Tragacanth with a nice shiny slick finish, and it was a few days before I attached them.

Any way to save this?

I am thinking of conditioning with neatsfoot oil or lexol, but I am fairly sure that I will not be able to re slick the edges with it assembled.

Even if I cannot save this one how does one prevent this in future projects? I have never had this issue in the past.

This does happen occasionally, mostly I just slick the edges again with a bit of beeswax and give them a rub with an 'ugly stick' which seems to work for me.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Ray

Ok I'm finishing out a knife sheath, and wet molded it to the knife last night. I knew the leather straps were quite dried out from the dye, but when I wet the sheath the straps bristled out at the edges (with lots of the little fibers sticking out.) I had finished the edges of the straps prior to assembly using gum Tragacanth with a nice shiny slick finish, and it was a few days before I attached them.

Any way to save this?

I am thinking of conditioning with neatsfoot oil or lexol, but I am fairly sure that I will not be able to re slick the edges with it assembled.

Even if I cannot save this one how does one prevent this in future projects? I have never had this issue in the past.

FWIW from the old grump; I agree with Ray. I'd sand them a bit, moisten, burnish, allow to dry, re-sand as necessary and re-burnish. Instead of beeswax, I use a touch of glycerin soap --- Neutrogena bar soap works well --- just a bit, dampened and rubbed on with my finger. Allow to dry, dye or stain and finish --- I use an acrylic as a finish. Mike

I forgot about the glycerine soap, Mike... that stuff is sooooo useful. I also use it for 'greasing' lace. The stuff just slides through the holes and seems to lay flatter too. Which reminds me to order some more!

Ray

I've found that no matter what you use to slick with taking a few minutes to sand the edges properly goes a long way.

I'm always fascinated to hear how other people do jobs. I can honestly say I have only sanded edges a handful of times in all the years I've been leatherworking and only then on big heavy work like holsters and chunky knife sheaths. I'm not saying it doesn't work 'cos obviously it does, just that I haven't felt the need to do it. I'm off to experiment with some sandpaper now... right after I order that glycerine soap!

Ray

is saddle soap ok for this?

I'd go with the glycerine soap if you can get it. Saddle soap IMHO tends to strip the oils from leather.

Ray

LOL....I recalled I have about 6-9 pounds of glycerine soap. in my candel making/ soap making pantry. I was going to due some heat and pour that I never got around to.

So that should be easy. I think I need more sleep. Also have pure glycerine as well but that is for skin care lotions.

Edited by TN leather