Made a simple card sleeve out of some scrap oil tan (I think) from the local leather shop.

Used .030 Maine Thread, not sure I'm sold on it, looks bumpy and weird stitch to stitch.

o9okzr.jpg

Nice start. Did you try hammering it down a bit? I amazed at what a difference that sometimes makes. Also, I've read that some people go over it with an overstitch wheel, but I've never tried that.

Nice start. Did you try hammering it down a bit? I amazed at what a difference that sometimes makes. Also, I've read that some people go over it with an overstitch wheel, but I've never tried that.

I didn't try the hammer thing, maybe I'll give it a go. Don't have an overstitch wheel anyway. But I do have some Tiger thread incoming maybe that will help with the uniformity.

The thread is too large for that length of stitch. As a test only, use that same pricking iron and stitch every second hole. Your stitching if done correctly should improve on the backside. At that same stitch length (looks like 7 SPI) no matter who is stitching using the same thickness of thread it will look identical to your photo.

The shape of your awl will also change the stitching consistency (wide awl tip). Vid below by another member explains it well.

Edited by DavidL

The thread is too large for that length of stitch. As a test only, use that same pricking iron and stitch every second hole. Your stitching if done correctly should improve on the backside. At that same stitch length (looks like 7 SPI) no matter who is stitching using the same thickness of thread it will look identical to your photo.

I'll definitely give your experiment a try. Good eye btw I think the math is somewhere between 7 or 8 spi for the Chinese Irons I bought. Maybe I just need to drop from .030 thread to .020.

The guy in the video is saying a rounder tipped awl follows your pricking iron marks and an acute tipped awl can wander. Makes sense, I'm not certain that's my problem, I think the size and makeup (twisted vs braided) of the thread is what is making it look odd.

Edited by Tokarsky

I switched my stitching priority and I think I somehow fell ass backwards into proper form...

With this I had the grain side of the leather (shown here) facing my right hand.
My pricking iron marks all direction /////// going down the grain side.

Starting from the far end I awl'd from the right side through my pricks.

Put my left hand needle in first, then passed the right hand needle over the the left hand needle but under the left hand needle's thread in the hole.

Pulled tight and my result is what I wanted.

But I just don't get it.

SpYqYue.jpg