Grunt

I would like to buy a sewing machine....but...

I haven't the foggiest idea how to make the darn thing work. Seriously, about all I know about sewing machines is that you press the pedal/switch and it goes.

Seriously, where would I go to learn to sew using a machine? I would like to save up and buy an Artisan Toro 3000, but it won't do me any good if I don't know how to use it.

HELP! :helpsmilie:

Nick

Hi Nick,

I would recommend that you go to The Rocky Mountain Show in Sheridan, Boots and Saddles in Wichita Falls, or The IFoLG Show in Columbus this year. Artisan attends all these shows and a few others also (only Artisan does the IFoLG which is a credit to them). Of all the sewing machine sellers, Artisan is the only one I have seen who will show you how to sew, and let you sit there all day and sew on THEIR leather, no complaints, no sales pressure. If you have to learn, this is the way to do it with Steve giving help whenever you need it. Questions don't seem to bother him much and you will learn a lot. He usually has a box of accessories and feet there so you can see what some of the different feet and needle plates do.

Art

I haven't the foggiest idea how to make the darn thing work. Seriously, about all I know about sewing machines is that you press the pedal/switch and it goes.

Seriously, where would I go to learn to sew using a machine? I would like to save up and buy an Artisan Toro 3000, but it won't do me any good if I don't know how to use it.

HELP! :helpsmilie:

Nick

While you could take a local "sewing" course (contact just about any retail sewing machine shop), you'll quickly find that home sewing classes focus on clothing and home decorating construction techniques as much - or more so - than sewing per se, those techniques aren't very applicable to constructing leather goods, and the machine instruction itself will only be dimly applicable to heavy leather stitchers like Artisan's. A better bet would be to find a local leatherworker who is willing to let you hang around and observe, if not actually help you out. In addition to local craftspeople (arts/crafts type), you can also look for custom bootmakers, leather repair shops, motorcycle gear makers, people involved in renaissance fairs, etc. You can also contact local industrial sewing machine suppliers to see if there's anyone local they can refer you to.

Leather sewing is actually really, really basic sewing in most respects (flip through a book of heirloom sewing techniques sometime if want to get your eyes opened on that point). I think the more unique aspects of sewing leather actually relate more to the specialized nature of the machines due to having to deal with wide variations in very heavy materials. Most people that do home sewing don't really understand their sewing machines or how to control sewing parameters (tension, timing, lift, machine clearances, and other machine settings, in addition to needle & thread selection, etc.), nor do they need to in most cases. I'm not suggesting you need to become a sewing machine mechanic to use a stitcher, but becoming familiar with some of the basics is more important in leather stitching than home sewing because you're left to your own resources much of the time in resolving problems.

If you can make one of the shows Artisan attends, as Art suggested, you'll unquestionably get the best, shortest education relevant to your needs. Just be aware that it's not just a matter of "running a sewing machine."

Bill

Hello Nick, Just my two cents... A few years ago I was doing some projects that required some simple sewing. I read what I could online and purchased a video on "How to Sew" well a few weeks later I bought a very nice machine (fabrics) for less then $200- Does everything and does it well! Now Leather is a whole different animal as far as machines go but the basics are the same. You can't loose by renting a DVD or two from SMARTFLIX . They have a ton of sewing DVD's and if you want to sew leather you will have some basic knowledge! Good Luck!

It's just a machine Grunt...

I'll bet you bought all kinds at Home Depot and Sears, and You didn't know how to run them!!

You start off simple...practice pieces - straight stitches, and pretty soon you're turning corners, and backstitching.

Nick,

For beginning work, there isn't much complicated about sewing leather. There aren't that many ways to sew two or more pieces of leather together. Upholstery work is a little more complicated, with more defined skills, and canvaswork just a little more. I look through my wife's Sew Beautiful (heirloom sewing) and bridal and quilting mags and have come to the conclusion that I don't know Jack. Putting the curved pieces together on quilts....thank God we don't have to do that with leather.

Art

It's just a machine Grunt...

I'll bet you bought all kinds at Home Depot and Sears, and You didn't know how to run them!!

You start off simple...practice pieces - straight stitches, and pretty soon you're turning corners, and backstitching.

HELP!

Nick

My mother taught me how to sew a straight stitch on an old Singer treadel machine when I was 7 years old. I never sewed on a machine again until last Sept. when I got my cylinder bed sewing machine. The key is to sit down and practice, a lot. I spent 6 weeks just sewing scrap leather, setting up different threads, different thicknesses of leather, learn to set the tension (that can drive you nuts till you get it down), screwup the settings and then get them set correctly. Search the internet for sewing info, there is a huge amount of info on sewing, mostly on fabrics but it is all useful for a beginner. The techiques are the same just different material. Read all the posts on this site and you'll get several lifetimes of info for free!!! Sewing isn't rocket sience, just takes practice. You'll do just fine!!!!!!!!

John

Hello Nick, Just my two cents... A few years ago I was doing some projects that required some simple sewing. I read what I could online and purchased a video on "How to Sew" well a few weeks later I bought a very nice machine (fabrics) for less then $200- Does everything and does it well! Now Leather is a whole different animal as far as machines go but the basics are the same. You can't loose by renting a DVD or two from SMARTFLIX . They have a ton of sewing DVD's and if you want to sew leather you will have some basic knowledge! Good Luck!

I agree. A regular sewing machine will teach you the basics that is nearly the same. From that stepping up for a 3000 is just more poweful and you need to plan better.

Good luck and keep asking questions.