Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak

decent resource for scroll patterns

I was wondering if anyone had come across a decent resource for scroll patterns that engravers mostly use. The reason I ask is that I am planning to do a few rifle cases, and thought it would be a neat feature to offer scroll work that matched or was close to the rifle it held. Most rifle engravings are scroll designs, although there are a few that delve into flower motiffs.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Try searching the net for a book called "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls" by Ron Smith. It is a book on drawing scroll patterns for gun and meatal engravers. It is a great book

ClayM.

Ron also has another book that is quite good. [DRAWING & UNDERSTANDING SCROLL DESIGNS].

There are other books that I have looked at like The Art of Engraving by James B. Meek (not as good for designing scrolls but has some ones that show bad and good comparisons).

Another one I have looked at is Firearms Engraving, Theory and Design by George Sherwood. It gives some European, English and American designs. It shows many actual engraved guns, student practice plates, outline and line drawings of popular guns that may be copied.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

The NgraveR company (link below) has copy righted plastic scroll scroll templates similar to CraftAids meant for the engraving trade, but they may be useful for your purpose as well. They have templates 1, 2, and 3 with many scroll sizes and design bases on each template. I got the nr. 2 back when I had an interest in engraving. They are called ScrollMasterTemplates and if you can't find them on the web site you might just give them a call. They also have the book by Ron referenced in Twister's post above. "Drawing and Understanding Scrolls"

http://www.ngraver.com/book.htm

Paul