DavidL

Vergez Blanchard Prongs Same Height?

The irons I have is a 9spi 4 prong vergez and 7spi dixon 8 prong. Im trying to buy a 5,6,7 SPI 2 prong vergez blanchard to help change the length of the last 2 stitches to exactly fit the edge. Are the prongs at 5,6,7 all the same height and angle (9 SPI blanchard is very small impressions are the 5,6,7 slightly similar in size to each other, the same or are varied).

Has anyone ordered the vergez blanchard pricking wheel w/ edge guide in 4 different sizes?How hard of an impression does it make for a single mark? It will be a better tool to buy a pricking wheel if it can make a slight indentation 30 percent -50 percent of an iron that can go through an entire 4 ounce piece.

Afterwards I can get away buying in the future, a 2 prong iron of the different sizes and use it w/ the pricking wheel for up to 10cm long stitching lines.

Then progress to a 6 prong vergez iron of a 5,6,7 and will still be able to use the wheel to premark.

Does any one have any other suggestions to mark the last few holes leading to a corner? Im also eyeing a single prong iron from vergez but don't know how well it will work in keeping it the same angle as the other marks.

I watched a video of Nigel Armitage stopping well before the corner, placing his iron in the corner and working out to meet up leaving the smaller stitch in the middle somewhere, looked like a great way to do it.

il give it a look on youtube. Makes it easier in theory since the corners are the hardest part.

Does any one use a compass, different sized 2 prong irons or round awl to mark up the corner stitch/ slightly larger stitch?

I think it was one of him doing a messenger bag

David, I have a few of the wheels from different European makers, you can't use them to make single marks, the teeth are too close together on the wheel so you get multiple marks with little pressure.

I have recently been using a scratch awl and making a round hole in the corner and have been pretty happy with the results.

It tends to give a single less slanted stitch in the corner but transitions to the next side a lot neater. Also have been punching the corner holes first so that they line up equally and have than been using the iron there as a starting point. I find it easier to add in one smaller or slightly larger stitch somewhere else and find it less noticeable.

I was curios as well how much bigger the teeth were on the different size vergez irons and if they were the same angle. Matt said above the angle is the same but would be interested in seeing the difference in the size of the teeth if anyone has a picture.

Hi David. I have found that starting in the corners and meeting up to one side of the middle or the other ( but never exactly in the middle as that's were the eye is naturally drawn too ) is the best way to go. I will also stretch the leather ever so slightly if I have to to as the marks are about to meet to get the even spacing. It works for me

Peter.