Sign in to follow this  
needles

Another Skiver......

Hi

I've knocked up a skiver, managed to get it set pretty good and it managed to split a 10inch x 1inch strip of leather, unfortunately it came apart, so made another but can't get the blade at the right angle,

can anyone please take a side pic of their manual skiver, hoping they may give me an idea of angles, etc

Alanpost-33777-0-50099700-1408732049_thumb.jpost-33777-0-80704800-1408732057_thumb.jpost-33777-0-85500900-1408732066_thumb.j

Very cool. I like making tools as well.

Chris

At a cursory glance, I'd guess that your angle is too steep. It looks like you are just over 45 degrees based on the angle bracket plus whatever the angle the bevel on the cutting edge has.

If I am not mistaken, the angle of the bevel on the blade should be somewhere near 22 degrees relative to the leather being fed into it. If you can lower the side opposite of the one with the blade mounted to it, you can change the angle with little effect on the actual blade height. Possibly by removing a bit of the material on the post and making adjustments with something like small stacks of cut up 3x5 cards.

Aside from that, it looks like you have enough places to adjust an even cutting depth or anything else that needs minor tweaking. It's also possible that the blade might need a little bit of attention, but that's just a guess. I can't recall what the ideal cutting angle should be on a splitter blade, but my money would be on making that angle smaller than it currently is.

thanks guys

i think your right, i must of built too far forward,

I think i had the roller further forward so the blade egde is closer to the far edge of the roller, cut was upeard, if that makes sense

gonna play more maybe as someone said try to position the blade on the horizontal and roller below

definetly need to work on the blade, but I'll do more on that when i get the main body right.

been fun playing with this though.