Josiah

How Do I Get My Holes Big Enough For Hand Sewing

I have an Osborne sewing awl that I am currently using for my handstitching projects. I am saving for a better awl, but for now that is what I have to work with. The problem that I am having is that when I attempt to use the thread sold by Springfield (who I have no problems with, I just happend to buy their thread) I can't get it to fit through the holes. I am using the needle lock knot used by Al Stohlman and it just makes a ball at the end of the needle won't fit. I went to Springfields site, thinking i purchased the wrong size of thread but they have no size choices available only length, spool type, waxed or unwaxed, and linen or polyester. Is my thread at fault or my awl or what? Currently using coat and garment thread which I know is too small.

There must be a bad instruction in one of Al's books or something as I've seen this same question before. There should be no ball of thread at the end of the needle. You don't tie a knot. You pierce the thread with the needle and just slide it down to the eye where it will cinch up. Check the following link.

http://www.bowstock.co.uk/tan_win.html

If you are using pre waxed thread, sometimes a ball or knot will form, but it should be a smooth transition. If you get the ball, start over until its a completely smooth transition. Also, I regularly use a pliers to pull me needles through anyway, so dont make your holes bigger.

Mike

I bet the issue is the thread cinch. I had issues with it balling up like you described when I first started stitching. And use pliers to pull the needle through like Mike said. Good Luck

David

Thanks guys. The tutorial posted helped and when I reviewed the Stohlman book to figure out why it was different, I found that I had misunderstood part of it which was causing my problems. Went and practiced today and it worked great.

You're quite welcome sir. HAppy stitching!

Yes. For some reason, I thought the end was supposed to go back through the loop created by the rest of the thread and where the needle split the thread. That created an actual knot that was too big to fit through holes.