Wogdog

Horse Tack Patterns

i am looking for a pattern for a show halter for my daughter to use at fair.

i have found the horse tack pattern from Tandy and that is not what i want.

i would like a pattern for one like weaver has but i have not had any luck,

i know i could buy one and disassemble it but that is kinda expensive.

Help please i promise i will post photo's of the finished product

Thanks

I have tack patterns, but I got them from Tandy. If you ;posted a pic of the one you want to make, we might be able to break it down for you and tell you what to buy. Cheryl

I have tack patterns, but I got them from Tandy. If you ;posted a pic of the one you want to make, we might be able to break it down for you and tell you what to buy. Cheryl

Have you ever worked with leather? I'm just asking because I would not be able to make that throat latch because I don't have a, forget the technical term, but something like rein roller that will round the leather when it's pulled through. Other than that this isn't a hard pattern, it's just a lot of buckles and screw on conchos, all that can be bought. I wouldn't recommend it for a first project but if you don't mind making a few mistakes and starting over you could probably do it yourself. And the Tandy pattern would work for this, they're all basically the same, nose goes where it always has, etc. If it is your first project, it's going to cost more in tools and leather/buckles/hardware probably than the halter costs at Weaver. And that's without rounding the throat latch. But I'd be happy to help all I could if you can live with a flat throat latch, tell you where you can buy the things, how to measure it, etc. Try and think of all the tools you'll need. If you really want to start on this as a first project. And trust me, I'm no expert but hopefully some others would chime in. Cheryl

Take a halter that you have and measure it for the lengths you need. For the cheeks and nose you need to make a pattern using what ever size concho's you want to use. The throat will need to be longer if you want it shaped like the one in the picture a little bit of trail and error to get the right length.

You can make a rounder out of a piece of hard wood. Split it and put a hinge on the end and drill what ever size hole you need put it in a vise and pull you throat piece through to round it. It's not as good as a metal one but it will work.

See? I told you someone would come around to help that knew more about it. Thanks John. Cheryl

Have you ever worked with leather? I'm just asking because I would not be able to make that throat latch because I don't have a, forget the technical term, but something like rein roller that will round the leather when it's pulled through. Other than that this isn't a hard pattern, it's just a lot of buckles and screw on conchos, all that can be bought. I wouldn't recommend it for a first project but if you don't mind making a few mistakes and starting over you could probably do it yourself. And the Tandy pattern would work for this, they're all basically the same, nose goes where it always has, etc. If it is your first project, it's going to cost more in tools and leather/buckles/hardware probably than the halter costs at Weaver. And that's without rounding the throat latch. But I'd be happy to help all I could if you can live with a flat throat latch, tell you where you can buy the things, how to measure it, etc. Try and think of all the tools you'll need. If you really want to start on this as a first project. And trust me, I'm no expert but hopefully some others would chime in. Cheryl

i have made several belts and what not, a couple of saddle bags, and i have several tools for leather work. also i forgot to mention i am stubborn and mule headed. so yes i think i want to do this so any help you can give me is appreciated

Well, alrighty then. You're going to need a strap cutter, veg tanned leather, conchos, and a box cutter will probably do the scallops if your better with one than I am, and make a rein rounder like John mentioned, dye, two solid dee rings, 3 halter hardware pieces, forgot the name right off the top of my head, 3 -3/8" buckles, 2-1" buckles with keepers and tips, and 11 graduated rivet or screw back matching conchos, and the rivets or screws for them, and either a sewing machine or an awl, harness leather needles, and waxed linen or nylon thread. If you do like John said and take apart an old halter that fits the horse you'll already have the halter hardware plus all your measurements. You can get all of these things at one place, we have several people who advertise with us, and I personally use Springfield Leather Company because you can talk to them for an hour and they'll keep listening and keep helping. If you can show one of them the halter they'll probably make sure you get everything you need. Then you can ask me any questions you want, I'm happy to help. Cheryl

Thanks for the help, i will post what it looks like when i get it done

Thanks, I'd love to see it. Cheryl