davnasca

Introduction from a young blood

Now that I’ve finally got time to introduce myself- here goes.

I started leather working in 8th grade. I wanted to make a suit of armor and my parents said they be damned before I could build a back yard forge, so I did some research and after a brief period of becoming extremely bored with chainmaille, I hit upon leather armor. So, my first project was a full suit of leather plate armor, minus the gauntlets. I bought two sides of cheap skirting, a quart of black dye, hundreds of rapid rivets, assorted buckles and went at it with a utility knife. I sorta made up my own techniques- dremel tool for the rivet holes, center bar buckles attached at the keeper bar, ect. For all the experimenting, it turned out pretty well.

After showing it off at all the family functions, my aunt gave me a HUGE set of leather tools that belonged to my late uncle. He was the kind of guy to become interested in a hobby, buy all the necessary accouterments and not find the time/ drive to develop the hobby. So, I received about 100 craft-tools, mallets, swivel knives (even a few of the elusive ruby blades), shears, edgers, ect. all virtually untouched. Around the same time, a friend of the family’s saddle shop was going out of business and I was given a lifetime supply of copper rivets, and a few nice old tools. Now being about thirteen and having all these tools, I did what any 13 year old would do, made up how to use them. Leather work became a big pastime of mine and I experimented and discovered how stuff worked. I spent my money on leather and what ever other tools I thought I might need. Never once did I receive any instruction on how to do stuff, so I sort of developed my own style based on looking at pictures of other peoples work online. I guess if I had to define how I do leather work, carving especially, I would say that it is artistic, but crude. I still need to master how to use the tools in the best way possible and figure some basics out such as how to finish edges properly.

Now I am an 18 year old college student and my leather work hobby is still going strong. My leather tools (along with my guitar) were one of the few personal items that made the trek from home in Western New York to college in the Eastern Sierras with me. The college I’m at is a pretty alternative institution. Its an all men’s liberal arts college with only 26 students on a working cattle ranch and alfalfa farm near Bishop, CA. Students work about 20 hours a week doing everything from moving irrigation lines and cooking to cowboying and office work, in addition to taking rigorous “normal” liberal arts classes with a heavy philosophy bend.

As this college is on a ranch, there is opportunity to do leather work. Being in the heart of buckaroo country, I’ve been getting more and more interested in horse gear. I have ready access to cow hides (we slaughter our own beef) and recently, I’ve become interested in rawhide braiding. Next semester, I’ve talked with the ranch manager about building a saddle and am ridiculously excited about the opportunity of learning the art of saddlery.

So, long story short, I feel incredibly lucky to have stumbled upon this site and will be probably be posting loads of questions. I’m hoping that having experienced people critique my work will help me nail down the finer aspects of leather work. So if you made it this far, thanks, and be on the look out for pics of my work and questions.

-David

P.S.- If saddlery is your thing, keep an eye out for a posting in the saddle making forums some time soon looking for advice.

leather_cover.jpg

post-8070-1229894228_thumb.jpg

Welcome David

you have the right outlook and sounds like the drive welcome to your new home.

josh

Glad you found us, David, and it sounds like you're off to a great start and finding some great opportunities. The bit about the backyard forge cracked me up. Can't wait to see some of your work!

Kate

Welcome! :welcome: Glad you're here. It sounds like you are going to a really cool college! What a great opportunity for you and that is great that you get access to cowhides etc. as a result. You'll do well I'm sure!

David you will find everyone here so wonderful.

Welcome

Edited by Kowboyboots

Wait, I guess I did figure out how to post a pic, completely on accident I assure you.

So yeah the pic is of a leather folder I made. The Swinging (upsidedown) "T" is my colleges brand. I bit off a bit more than I could chew with this one as far a carving goes. The beveling is not as smooth as I would like it, and the design is way too complex for my skill. That being said, this was my first attempt at western style floral carving.

That's a great first attempt - I gather you did the design, as well? You already know what to improve on the next project, so you're already better than you were when you started.

Kate

Hi and welcome to Leatherworker.net. We're glad you found our little corner of the internet. There's lots of members, both amateurs and professionals, who'll be happy to help with any questions you might have. Ask away, and enjoy one of the friendliest sites on the 'net.

Check through your tools, and look for some modeling tools. The one you'll need is the spoon- I guess you could actually use a spoon for this if you don't have anything else- anyway, just pull up Tandy's website and look at what they are if you don't already know. After you walk the beveler down the lines, come back with the spoon/modeling tool and flatten out the little ridge from the beveler's angle and where it meets the 'flat' of the rest of the leather. You can also use it to smooth out any 'chatter' marks, where you've accidentally left impressions from the beveler face.

Keep it up, post more pics, and

STAY IN SCHOOL!!!!!

(From the voice of personal experience, it takes f o r e v e r to get back in and maintain your studies once you get out and have a family)

Thanks, I "discovered" the modeling spoon about a month after I did this. I made this about a year ago, when I found out that I got in to this school, but unfortunately, this is the only pic of my stuff I have. I'm terrible at documenting stuff (never thought I had a use for pictures, plus, its easier to imagine things as awesome when you don't have to relive your mistakes!), and I've done quite a bit since. Most of it has been gifts too, so i can't go back and take pics. Now that I have a place to receive criticism and post pics, I'll be more religious in documentation.

As for staying in school- don't worry "wife material" is pretty scarce at this school :rolleyes2: so no worries there!

Glad You're Here!

Todd

Three bits of advice besides the one about staying in school. One of my mentors taught me, "The cow is dead, don't be afraid to hit the leather!" Read everything in this web site. Its the best. Finally, when you get some $, get the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal Mag. $$$, but worth it. Tne best to you. Over 50 years ago I was 18. Enjoy it. Stan

Wecome Aboard ,all the above is good adv I would add do not , I repeat ,Do not rush that wife idea! It took me some time to figure that out!I got married before I shipped out to Vietnam that was a big mistake...So take some time to find that person who will pull on the same end of the rope with you.Miss Dana and I have been together 32 years now,My Dad told me in 1963 that" marriage is forever" but I thought he had lost it.He was trying to make me understand "Thank God and grayhound She's Gone".A Bad one Hangs on forever!