Jimbob

Veg Tan Auto Upholstery!?

Looking to do a complete car in veg tanned leather, all the front seats will have carvings and the back seat will too....some cross lacing on the seams and of course flame skulls and such!!

Anybody ever done this, what leather and what oz would be good, should I carve on the actual cover or should I use thicker leather and then sew to the leather "skin" of the seat....how would I keep the leather in shape to the seat, would I need to wet form the pieces, what kind of seam would work on veg tan leather > french seam...?

anybody have pictures or drawings, also will do the side panels....these should be easy...

The car is a Buick 1950 2-door and all will be styled like Rock-a-billy California style stuff...

OK, anybody up for ints, info or sources...??

Thanks upfront for good leads...

Jimbob

Get a hold of Chancey. He did the door panels for a friends truck last year, and I know he's given some thought to a full on rework.

My thoughts, for the seat I'd go as light as possible and still be able to tool it (and make it last). Maybe a 3/4 oz, then position your tooling so that you'll be able to kind of wet-mold the curves by wetting things.

For seams, I would skive and do a rolled edge, then do the cross lacing. The rolled edge would make it look pretty sweet with no edge sticking out.

sounding good, will try that....the guy now dropped the lacing and wants welts, piping, so this makes it a bit lesser labor intensive....has to be done middle of June....heeeeellp!!!!

Art work will be like inserted panels, back seats, front seats....all together 8 panels....a car upholstery guy is helping with lay-out......

well, wish me luck, pictures will show up as soon as we are done.....

cool. At least you got someone to help you out locally. Sounds like a pretty big project.

Its done, faster than I thought....all panels came out sweet....owner wanted some spider webs incorporated in the design...all looks pretty swell!!

We used 2-3 oz milled soft tooling leather and regular 5-6 oz tooling leather for the panels....all welts been done with antique brown carerra leather....sharp!! Also some frame work of the panels have been done in this dark brown carerra leather.

The stitching was all done with dark brown 138 nylon thread, looking very sharp!!

Now on to the panels, kick boards and all side elements for the lower door panels....welting will be in reverse, all tan....panels will be all in dark brown carerra leather.....the carving again as inserts/panels in 5-6 oz veg tan.

I get them seats here on Tuesday, will post a bunch of pictures...see what ya all think!!

JImbob