Sign in to follow this  
russinchico

Pommel Bags

A friend of mine brought me a nylon pommel bag and asked if I could make something like that out of leather. Looks easy enough, more or less just saddle bags with a hole on the cross strap for the horn, right? If anyone has any advise fro me before I get to work on this would be greatly appreciated.

I just redid one and for a office bag for taging calves. I made the center sectoion longer to let it hang down on the side of the horse more. works great. Part of the time I use it in front of the saddle this makes it lower and out of the way to rope.

Russ

one thing to consider.. It is a good idea to make it in a shallow "V" shape so that the bags hang forward, or "off-set" the horn hole...otherwise the bags will try to set on the riders knees.

One other thing is the horn hole/slot....You can make this with a lace side so that the bags will fit many different sized horns and the hole doesn't have to be as large.

Hope this makes sence and helps some

Wes

When trying on different horn bags on different saddles, to figure out which is best, I noticed the ones with a 90 degree "V" in them fit the most saddles the best.

Consider installing small D rings on the bottom backside of the bags, so they can be tied down, and dont "slap" the horse when going faster than a walk. This can also allow you to make the hole bigger, to accomodate different sizes of horns.

The hole. It can be a hole, or it can be just a slit, with small holes punched at either end, when bags are made of leather.

Jan

Hi all, thanks for the info. Everything you pointed out I questioned this guy about. He wanted it "just like the nylon bag". High on the saddle, and straight across. Even got a little pissy when I kept askin if he "really" wanted it like that. I don't ride much except around hunting season with my uncle, but I'm sure he'll get tired of it slappin his knees, or twistin on the horn. I was thinkin about building a yolk for the horn with buckled straps to adjust where the bags sit. What do ya think?

Hi all, thanks for the info. Everything you pointed out I questioned this guy about. He wanted it "just like the nylon bag". High on the saddle, and straight across. Even got a little pissy when I kept askin if he "really" wanted it like that. I don't ride much except around hunting season with my uncle, but I'm sure he'll get tired of it slappin his knees, or twistin on the horn. I was thinkin about building a yolk for the horn with buckled straps to adjust where the bags sit. What do ya think?

You can cut straight out(away from rider) from the horn hole and then install a lace system to secure the cut. This will allow it to be tightend so it won't slip around/rotate on the horn... I'm not sure of what you have in mind with the buckle system but it would probly work as well or better.......

All that being said: you said he was a friend so your situation might be different, but sometimes when "The customer is always right", is obviously wrong, you can be further ahead to pass on the job. When they recieve leatherwork with your name on it and they end up hating it, you will be the one who suffers and all your work can end up as wasted time. In the end costing you potential customers as others see how poorly something you made preforms...even if it was his bad idea to begin with.

Just my 2cents and worth just what you paid for it... Please let us know how it turns out.

Edited by Freedom