TheGreatestScot

My First Steps Into Leatherworking And I've Set My Goal High

Hi folks, just signed up and this is my first post. I'm extremely interested in making my own leather crafted creations and would love to know how to get started. I'm based in Scotland in the UK so hopefully ordering materials and tools won't be a problem.

My goal is to make my own long-lasting leather messenger/laptop bag I realise this is a very big item to want to start from but that's why I'm posting, I'd love advice on maybe other places to start and hone my skills, smaller projects and such that people would personally recommend before starting such a ambitious project, I have Zero experience in leather-work at all, it's safe to say I know absolutely nothing about it. However I'm extremely eager to learn and devote the time needed to learning and honing my skills.

To break it down:

• I have no experience however I'm very eager to learn and devote any time needed
  • My goal is to create my own multi-purpose messenger / laptop bag
  • I'm looking for the best way to achieve this goal, even if that means starting on smaller projects
  • I live in the UK (Scotland) so my buying options might be more limited, I'm not eager to import but not 100% against it.
  • It should also be noted, I have no dedicated workspace, only a desk in a shared room.

I realise this site probably gets a lot of posts like this that don't really go anywhere but I promise I am very eager, determined and willing to put in the time, money and effort to create my own leather-work items.

Have a great day and thanks for reading. :)

Hi from another newbie and welcome to the forum.

I remember posting something like this about 8 months ago =) I am also after a briefcase & a messenger bag.

The best thing to do is to read read and read this forum. You can also study others' work and see how pros handle different projects.

I'd recommend starting with very basic things and as you build up your knowledge of leatherwork, move on to more advanced stuff. Bookmarkers and coasters are a great place to start.

Ordering materials and basic tools is not a problem. Leprevo Leather is based in Newcastle, so their delivery is quite quick. They are my primary source for leather and cheaper tools. There is also Tandy who occasionally have some nice discounts. For higher quality tools you've got Joseph Dixon and handtools-uk.com (Osborne importer). Osbornes seem to be cheaper than Dixons and I did not notice any big difference in quality, but the choice of Osbornes is rather limited. And you can try vergez-blanchard tools from (if I'm not mistaken) France. Haven't tried any of them yet but the prices are similar to dixons.

If you want some good stamping&carving tools though, you have to import them from the US and pay import duty on them. Tough luck.

Having no space is a bit of a pain, but its not a major problem. You'll just waste some time clearing the work area every time you want to do a bit of leatherwork. And whoever you're sharing the room with might complain about the dye smell when you're dyeing bigger items. Nothing that an open window can't cure.

Try to figure out how much you are prepared to spend on leatherwork a month and then start making up a basic tool list. You have a choice between cheap tools (some of them are great, some are not even usable) & starter tool kits (mainly from Tandy) and pro-quality equipment. Chances are you would want to replace cheap tools within the next 6 months after buying them, but they give you a decent starting ground. Unless you can't wait to spend a couple £k on your tools right away, you can only buy tools that you need for your current project and expand your collection over time. Just make sure you are not losing out on shipping too much.

Books-wise, I can recommend:

Valerie Michael's "leatherwork manual";

Stohlman's "Art of hand sewing leather" (a lot of info clashes with the leatherwork manual though);

Stohlman's "Art of making leather cases" (all 3 volumes);

Stohlman's "Projects & designs" for some basic projects and introduction to carving.

PS Just be careful. Leatherwork is very addictive.

I'd recommend the 'How do I do that' thread on here, there are a ton of tutorials, and then more but not as concentrated all over the forum. And Chavez recommended some great books. Cheryl

I'm so glad that Chavez chimed in with his local knowledge. :)

I agree with starting with smaller projects but I found that thicker leather is easier to carve. If you can't find those books in hard form you can also get them... well, most of them, via http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com as ebooks fairly inexpensively.

One project that seems to be popular is a sporran... it's fairly small and will get you started on saddle stitching. There are a few here who have made them. Another thing you might try is a pouch or case for your "smoking materials." or a Mobile phone case. :)

Remember that leather working takes patience.... don't rush or you will pay the price of gobs of frustration. Allow things to case properly and allow finishes to dry a good long time between coats.

Sylvia

The Tandy Leather Site has dozens of "How To" videos all free, from Beginning Carving to Lacing, sewing, etc. Since they're free, they can't do any harm.

Ken

The Tandy Leather Site has dozens of "How To" videos all free, from Beginning Carving to Lacing, sewing, etc. Since they're free, they can't do any harm.

Ken

Oh Ken, what a great thing to remember and mention...

Don't forget YouTube also has some great videos...

Here are just a few...

* Here are just a few Great Places to Check Out (Use Google for more)

Basic Carving Leather Craft Video

How to Carve Leather Ross Saddlery

Kingsmerecrafts there is a ton of leatherworking information here

http://www.elktracks.net/ JIM LINNELL FREE PATTERNS

SADDLE STITCH TUTORIAL

Projects and Patterns - Tandy

LeatherLearn

Carving a Swan

Ok, now remember........... to get as good at the folks in the videos.........

and never fear You Can do It Too......... with lots of Practice, Practice, Practice

Hello and welcome to the forum! All the above info is perfect! Also go round charity shops and buy cheap leather bags and the like and take them apart to see how things are made. I'm in Perth. Where are you based?

The best way to find out about how bags go together is from an out of print book by W C Double called The Design and Construction of Handbags it shows all the basic construction forms and shapes so almost all bags can be made , it also gives some information on the making of patterns. It is possible to buy it but does cost a lot (have seen for £400) but easier and cheaper to put a request in at your local library and have fun reading it without the cost. Good luck with making your bag.