Starman

How Do I Get Rid Of The Orangish, And Darken The Color?

Hi folks, you're a fantastic resource so I turn to your sage advice:

I have some deerskin (possibly elk) that's the natural/common orangish color. I'm trying to get rid of the orangish color, and give it more of a tan color (http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss215/austin569/Tan_Color_Block-721x591.png), but I'm having some trouble.

I've already stretched it out and in the process of sitting in the sun it's faded a bit, which is a great start. I've tried a couple of things: 1) diluted a brown dye in water and soaked the leather,. It darkens it a bit (good) but also brings the orangish tint back (bad). I've also tried neetsfoot oil, but it turns it too dark a brown.

Any ideas for how to 'thin' or dilute the neetsfoot out ? a very, very light amount of neetsfoot colors it OK, but how to do a whole skin with a very light yet even coating?

Any other suggestions for getting it more of the light brown or tan color without bringing back the orangish tint?

Thanks, guys!

From the looks of the photo, I don't think you can go from the orange to that light of a color. I think you could only go darker. :(

You don't want to use any dye that includes red. Brown includes red. To get a lighter colour, you have to bleach colour out of it.

Tom

You don't want to use any dye that includes red. Brown includes red.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up on that. What about using Black? A seriously, seriously diluted back...think that might work towards the goal?

I don't think black is going to lighten it at all. I think you'll need to start looking at leather bleaching materials.

I don't think black is going to lighten it at all. I think you'll need to start looking at leather bleaching materials.

No, no...I meant to slightly darken the leather without the 'red' or 'orange' tint. Sorry!

Sounds like you need to research some color theory. Use your color wheel Remember that colors opposite on the color wheel tend to cancel each other out. The opposite color to orange is blue (try a light blue wash)