Sign in to follow this  
jwwright

Another Christmas Saddle

1408_10.jpg1408_8.jpg1408_3.jpg

I built this one for our cattle vet's wife as a Christmas present. Herman Oak leather, Ray Lewis tree, J Watt Horseshoe Brand hardware. Constructive critique is most welcome. Thank You, JW

post-5250-1230647802_thumb.jpg

post-5250-1230647848_thumb.jpg

post-5250-1230647884_thumb.jpg

JW,

I think it looks really good. Good lines and stamp pattern to complement everything as usual for your work. I need to get going on that hidden stitch deal too. She ought to like it. I won't say much about vet's wives here though. (OK, I will say they are saints with what they have to deal with).

Hi JW,

good looking saddle, smooth work, and nice hidden stitch on the cantle binding. A personal preference of mine is having a border on the cantle back... you took the time to do it on the fork, I think it gives the saddle a nicer look if you do it on the cantle back as well.

Either way, nice job!

Darc

Many Thanks fellas. Darc, I think you are right. This is the only saddle I've built where I didn't put a border on the cantle back, if it was stamped in any way. I thought I would try one this way. While I think it looks fine,and the customer is pleased.............I'm with you. I think the border is better. JW

Looks great. Is Ray Lewis the treemaker? If so, what style tree is it?

Thanks Richard. Yes, Ray Lewis (and/or his brother Steve) made the tree in this saddle. You could call this tree a Buster Welch Roper, or Ranch Cutter.........although not to confuse with a cutter tree. This tree has Ray's regular bars in it, not the narrowed down versions you will find in most cutter trees. JW

Good lookin' saddle JW! Nice dally horn. As a tooler, I'm not a ruff-out fan, :lol: , but this one looks good!

Happy New Year!

Bob

Thank You Bob...........and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you as well. JW

Very, very nice JW! I like the hidden stiched back cantel! This is the first one I've seen though I have heard mention of it before. Is it very difficult to do?

Another great looking saddly, JW. You have been busy this last year. I hope you have a great year coming.

Ashley

Grumpy, Thank You. I have done about a dozen of these hidden stitch binds so far, and I am starting to get them where they are almost smooth enough to suit me. I find them easier really for me to get a good appearance, as when doing a regular bind I have trouble getting the backside stitches to be as uniform as I like. The hidden stitch kind of eliminates that problem.

Ashley.........Thank You as well. I hope you and your family have a great 2009.

JW

JW

Nicely done. I hate it when people let the tooling get in the way of getting the basics right. Good balance, nice rise in the ground seat, should be a comfortable seat. Do you use leather or tin for your ground seats?

Bondo Bob

Thanks Bob. I build a seat with a metal strainer, or some of the trees I use have the strainer glassed in. I have never built an all leather ground seat, although I am going to do at least one soon, just because I want to. JW