So, this is my first attempt at airbrushing brown dye. My previous brown experiences were with a dauber, and they didn't turn out as even as I'd like. In most cases, the brown eventually looked black due to me trying to even it all out. I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the result and will be airbrushing everything from now on - except the interior of the holster. Comments and critique welcome!

Holster specs:

Leather - 7-8 oz

Dye - Fiebings Dark Brown

Finish - Resolene

Pistol - Glock 27

G27_brown.jpg

Here's a shot next to a recently finished black one. The black one was my first try at the baby Glock pattern which is apparent by the corrected stitch line on the brown version (around the trigger guard).

g27_blk_brwn.jpg

Nice looking holster!

Air brushing looks great, but it will show flesh color quickly with wear, and scratches will stand out like a sore thumb. You might consider trying a quick dip dye job, and then apply a final finish with the air brush. The tone will still be even, and the color will have enough depth that the flesh color won't stand out if it gets scratched.

Airbrush finish looks really great. But I also concur with Boomstick for regular use a finish that penetrates deeper would be better in the long run. Really nice work on the holsters also.

I've got to echo what has already been said by BoomStickHolsters and Jordan. I've been having the same problem as you in trying to get a nice even color without going to dark, and thus also went to the airbrush. However, I have found that my airbrushed pieces show wear spots very quickly. I have come to the conclusion that Fiebings dyes simply are not going to give you the color your after with adequate penetration into the leather. For a couple weeks now I've been playing around with some Angelus dyes, and I believe they are the answer. I can apply via airbrush or dauber, get good color penetration into the leather, and still end up with the color it's supposed to be. You might want to give them a try. That said, I really like the color results you ended up with on the brown holster.

Wow, those look really nice. That brown looks very rich.

Those both look good! And brown's a pain, light or dark.

Thanks all - I'm definitely eager to try the Angelus dyes, as I've grown quite fond of the airbrush. When my samples come, I'll have to do a test and compare dip vs. airbrush with Fiebings and Angelus.

I've tried the dip method before and the run-off makes the bottom area darker (I could be doing something wrong).

Try a dip/spray combination. I use both Angelus and Feibings dyes (as well as others), and this works with pretty much everything.

Dip your piece into the dye quickly - no more than a second. Hold the piece so the run off flows towards an area that won't show, if that's possible. Wipe the excess dye build up off on to the edge of your dye vat. Now flex the peice you just dip dyed to open up the pores, so any excess dye that isn't easily wiped off will be absorbed into the leather.

Go work on another project and let the leather air dry for a few hours. When it is dry to the touch, use your airbrush to even up the finish if you have any streaks or dark spots. Use multiple coats to achieve the desired shade. Any time I make something that has to be brown or tan, this is the method I use to get ab even color.

It took a lot of time, money, and experimentation to come up with this method, believe it or not. Give it a try and see if it will work for you.

BoomStick,

Thanks for the suggestion on dipping and spraying the dyes. I have not narrowed down my favorite color choices enough yet that I can justify purchasing enough dye to dip quite yet, but I will definitely keep that approach in mind as I start producing enough pieces that I can afford to fund it.

Same here.

My Angelus samples came in today, so expect a swatch test within the next week or so.

Try a dip/spray combination. I use both Angelus and Feibings dyes (as well as others), and this works with pretty much everything.

Dip your piece into the dye quickly - no more than a second. Hold the piece so the run off flows towards an area that won't show, if that's possible. Wipe the excess dye build up off on to the edge of your dye vat. Now flex the peice you just dip dyed to open up the pores, so any excess dye that isn't easily wiped off will be absorbed into the leather.

Go work on another project and let the leather air dry for a few hours. When it is dry to the touch, use your airbrush to even up the finish if you have any streaks or dark spots. Use multiple coats to achieve the desired shade. Any time I make something that has to be brown or tan, this is the method I use to get ab even color.

It took a lot of time, money, and experimentation to come up with this method, believe it or not. Give it a try and see if it will work for you.

Do you think it matters if you dip dye before or after wet molding when using Angelus dyes?

I almost always dye before wet molding. In my experience, boning a holster will typically close pores in the leather to some extent. This will result in the leather absorbing dye at different rates (regardless of the penetration abilities of said dye) and making the color or shade uneven. Of everything I have tried, the process I wrote about above has yielded the most consistent results.

One of these days I'll buy enough dye to be able to dip them.

I too dye before I mold and before I stitch.

The color of your holster turned out beautifully, dickf.

If you want to give dip dying a try without spending a fortune, by a 9x14" sealable tupperware type container at your locale supermarket. Also get a funnel, and a 32 oz. bottle of dye (while I know it's not cheap, it's a lot cheaper than a drum of dye). Pour the dye into the container, and dip your cut out pieces of leather into the shallow "dye vat" before you edge or sew them. Finish the process I mentioned earlier, then assemble the holster in your usual manner.

If you like the results, seal the container and use it again whenever you like. If you prefer a different method, you can use the funnel and pour the leftover dye back in the bottle and use it how you see fit. Anyhow, that should give you an idea about whether or not you like dip dying without spending a lot on it first.

Good call - I think I'll try it.

As always, thanks!

What brand and model of sewing machine do you use? I was thinking about doing similar items for my guns but am new to sewing. Can't afford an expensive machine though.

larrydonaldson@rossreels.com

I'm flattered - I use a harness needle, thimble, waxed thread, and my hands in surgical gloves.

I think BOOMSTICK and many other pros opt for the Artisan Toro 3000. Some day...

Same here.

My Angelus samples came in today, so expect a swatch test within the next week or so.

As promised...

Angelus dye - scanned, not photographed. All dye was applied at full strength with the included dauber.

1. Jet black

2. Russet (little Boston Terrier hair for good measure)

3. English tan

sc000835fe.jpg

This dye soaks in much more than Fiebing's and I will be ordering more in the future.

Cheers!