Shorts

Using different wts of leather on same holster

I was wondering if anyone used 2 different weights of leather to build a holster. For example, 7/8oz on the back piece and a 8/9oz on the front piece. (or vice versa?)

What are the pros and cons? Advantageous at all? Any benefits? Complete waste of time? What are ideal applications?

I'm no pro but personally I think what works for you is ideal. For different holsters you may decide to do it different ways. Form follows function. If something doesn't work well do it differently the next time. I like to experiment and see what works.

ArtS

I was wondering if anyone used 2 different weights of leather to build a holster. For example, 7/8oz on the back piece and a 8/9oz on the front piece. (or vice versa?)

What are the pros and cons? Advantageous at all? Any benefits? Complete waste of time? What are ideal applications?

all of the holster/belts i make are 2 layers.

im working on one now that is IIRC, 8/9 outside and 3/4 inside. I just like lined holsters and i think they look better and show you are willing to put a little more work into your projects to make the work/look better. the 8/9 is a tad thicker then i would like but it was all that was available at the time.

the gun belts ive been making have been the same. but i usually use suede for the lining. i ve been weaving my cartridge loops from the back so its nice to have some lining to cover/protect the cartridge loop material. If you were to stitch the loops onto the hair side of the leather, then i guess a lining wouldnt be necessary.

you could always make one and see how you like it.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I make most of my own holsters. I have made two IWB holsters, one for a 2" revolver, and one for a Glock, that have 7/8 oz on the outer side, and 4/5 oz on the side next to the body. The reasoning is that the heavier leather is left pretty much flat, and will "print" less. The thinner side is heavily formed to the gun to help keep it in place better, although, being inside the waist band and belt, it's not going anywhere I guess. Also, the thinner leather makes the holster a little thinner, and every little bit helps on an IWB. Have carried both for 2-3 years, and am verry happy with them.

I always use two layers usually 7-8 oz outside and 3-4 oz inside with the flesh sides glued together.I prefer having the top grain against the gun. Also I like to do inlays so two layers are needed anyway.Dave

On some of my holsters like Double Clip, I use 7/8 on the back side and 6/7 on the front.