Sign in to follow this  
jwwright

Show Saddle

I finished this show saddle up this past weekend. The tree is from Ray Lewis, leather is Herman Oak, and the silver is from Hansens. This was my first inlaid padded seat, and first cheyenne roll. Tips from other makers about the inlaid seat, gleaned from this board were very helpful. Many Thanks, JW.

0908_11.jpg0908_5.jpg

post-5250-1219765195_thumb.jpg

post-5250-1219765235_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work!!! Tel me(us) how do YOU do the quilted look on the fenders, etc? Do you cut a line and bevel both sides and stamp a seeder, draw the lines, stamp and then cut,.......

I've wanted to do this on a purse but didn't know the correct procedure.

thanks and great work again!

pete

wow JW that is amazing work thanks for showing it, did you do all the silver work.

Josh

Wow! Really great looking saddle.

ArtS

:jawdropper:

Thanks for the comments all.

Pete, the centers of that pattern are a diamond stamp from J Watt. I do those first, then the lines with a swivel knife, and the seeder last. For me anyway, I find that gives me a little wiggle room to at least trick the eye into thinking that it is all straight.

Josh, all the silver came from Hansens. Some of it was already part of their stock patterns, some of it they made custom. JW

Very nice work, JW!

JW,

Another great looking saddle. You really run that stamp well. It was an endless source of frustration for Harvey Lutske and I, and mine got a new owner before I learned your trick for running it. Congrats on a good one.

Thank You for the comments Traveller and Bruce. Bruce, I have done 3 saddles with that pattern, although this is the first full stamp. I like doing it, only problem is the more folks that see it, want it. Might turn into a one trick pony. Thanks again, JW