Sign in to follow this  
$$hobby

Looking for a sewing machine

Hi all.

Ive been doing leather work for a while now and have bought some powered sewing machines for mostly my other projects (not leather). However, ive been looking for a sewing machine to start sewing leather.

Do any of you use powered (elecric) sewing machine? If so, what brand/model do you have and if there are any things you like/dislke.

I noticed that most state a pressor foot height/capacity. is that number a real stating of capacity of the machine or is it BS? I will most likely not be sewing any 3/4" material, but from my past experience, i could always use 1/4" more then what the machine could give.

im looking for:

> forward/reverse

> ~ 245 Thread

> <3/4" lift

> 110/120 VAC

> < 4k

Im trying to keep the cost down since its a (expensive) hobby for me. although i do alot of tack repair, its just to keep me off the streets and to allow me to make other things.

Check out Leightons. I picked up one of their MACH 1's a couple years ago, and absolutely love it. Price isnt bad even with the freight from the great north.

http://www.leightons.ca/index.html

$$,

I would check out Artisan's 3000. I have heard good reports on it. Same basic mechanics as their 4000 (built on the Juki 440 frame or a knockoff) with a shorter throat depth. Only costs about $2000. If you are doing tack, two layers of good skirting plus a woolskin is 3/4". Buy all the capacity you can. I own a used Adler 205-64 and a Ferdco Pro 2000. If I was starting out, my first powered machine would be the 3000.

Bruce Johnson

Check out Leightons. I picked up one of their MACH 1's a couple years ago, and absolutely love it. Price isnt bad even with the freight from the great north.

http://www.leightons.ca/index.html

The Major,

thank you for the link. If you dont mind me asking, how much was the M1?. also, what have you sewn with your machine and have you had any problems?

$$,

I would check out Artisan's 3000. I have heard good reports on it. Same basic mechanics as their 4000 (built on the Juki 440 frame or a knockoff) with a shorter throat depth. Only costs about $2000. If you are doing tack, two layers of good skirting plus a woolskin is 3/4". Buy all the capacity you can. I own a used Adler 205-64 and a Ferdco Pro 2000. If I was starting out, my first powered machine would be the 3000.

Bruce Johnson

bruce,

hi again. I was looking at the Artisan 3000, but dont know how well they work. theres a trade show this november in Pendleton so i my head on up there to see if they have any reps.

The Major,

thank you for the link. If you dont mind me asking, how much was the M1?. also, what have you sewn with your machine and have you had any problems?

Delivered was $1200. I have sewn many things with it from light weight 1.5-2 (vests) oz and double layer 10 oz (saddle bags, holsters, etc) with ease.

I have not had any problems at all with it.

I really like the height of the table he makes for it, it is standard height so a regular chair can be used.

John the owner is very quick to respond with all inquiries, and tech support.

That is really what sold me was his professional service.

bruce,

hi again. I was looking at the Artisan 3000, but dont know how well they work. theres a trade show this november in Pendleton so i my head on up there to see if they have any reps.

I do not think you will see Artisan at the show in Pendleton. The show is put on by Ferdco and from talking to them and other people they limit the vendors so there is little competition.

Yop should be able to find a list of vendors by contacting Ferdco by phone or email. It is a long drive to go there blind.

I also seem to recall that they were considdering some classes this year. Do not have any Idea what they would be.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon

I do not think you will see Artisan at the show in Pendleton. The show is put on by Ferdco and from talking to them and other people they limit the vendors so there is little competition.

Yop should be able to find a list of vendors by contacting Ferdco by phone or email. It is a long drive to go there blind.

I also seem to recall that they were considdering some classes this year. Do not have any Idea what they would be.

Tom Katzke

Central Oregon

tom,

can you believe i flew there about 10 years ago. i really didnt want to drive and it was about a 30 min flight. the prices were great too so i just did it on a whim.

But the last time i was there, i did think the show was a little thin on the sewing machine side. I just may go anyway since my vac time is use or loose. Also i know the people at Oregon Leather that go there and it would be great to travel a couple hundred mile to chat instead of going into town. makes since doesnt it? it would also give me a chance to get my car on a long road trip and it would be nice to see whats changed in Pendleton.

edit

i did see some hints about classes, but no details.

Edited by $$hobby

I'll have to look into these machines.

I am going to be in the market for a machine to sew leather agitation dog collars soon and I'm not quite sure what kind of machine that I need. Can you make some suggestions for me?

Here is what I need to sew. These were sewn by hand:

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0393.jpg

PICT0397.jpg

Hoyden,

If you are just going to do strap work with the heavier leather, probably the Artisan 3000 for less than $2000 is the choice. It has a narrower throat than some machines, but not as narrow as a Tippmann Boss for $1500 which is hand powered. If you want a machine with a wider throat, then you are looking at a Ferdco 2000, Artisan 4000, or Adler 205. Getting up to $4000 - 6000. I have an Adler 205-64 that is a tank and a Ferdco 2000. I prefer the Ferdco with the edge guide to sew straps now. The Ferdco has a lower needle guide, so I can't see exactly where the needle is entering the leather on a particular stitch. The Adler doesn't have the lower needle guide, and I can. The Adler skips more than the Ferdco, although not very much.

Bruce Johnson

Hoyden,

If you are just going to do strap work with the heavier leather, probably the Artisan 3000 for less than $2000 is the choice. It has a narrower throat than some machines, but not as narrow as a Tippmann Boss for $1500 which is hand powered. If you want a machine with a wider throat, then you are looking at a Ferdco 2000, Artisan 4000, or Adler 205. Getting up to $4000 - 6000. I have an Adler 205-64 that is a tank and a Ferdco 2000. I prefer the Ferdco with the edge guide to sew straps now. The Ferdco has a lower needle guide, so I can't see exactly where the needle is entering the leather on a particular stitch. The Adler doesn't have the lower needle guide, and I can. The Adler skips more than the Ferdco, although not very much.

Bruce Johnson

Bruce, I have both the Ferdco Pro 2000 and the Adler 205/64 and they lie in storage. Because our factory uses only needle awl machines, we gave the Ferdco a shot ( on the advice of John Bianchi`s video)

What I am keen on is finding an independent person I can send our stitched samples to including the thread and leather so that if anyone knows how to create a stitch similar to the needle awl ( as promised) with the Ferdco I would be very grateful. As I said it lies in storage and before I sell it ( never been in production) I would like a second opinion and trial with someone who owns the same machine. We have tried all the needles Jean Blanc could suggest and the thread they suggest but all for nothing. Any help would be appreciated. We are in Cape Town but would airmail the sampleas and leather samples so that someone could give it a shot and see if its just a setup on our side although we doubt it now. ( been here for 35 years so we are not newbies)

Thanx

Lindsay