Sign in to follow this  
Regis

Leather working videos are great

I've spent hours watching leatherworking video's for a few days now and want to communicate what I perceive.

Background:

I've had the "basic book in a kit" for a couple months now. I bought some other tools and supplies and was going nowhere until I found this forum. I jumped in with a few questions and got prompt help which mostly led almost immediately to another question. There is just tooo much to learn in the beginning to ask a complete question. Last week Clay completely amazed me and took my carving project step-by-step putting pictures online and showing with great detail exactly what to do (for that project and a few more). I'm not in an area where there are classes, guilds, or others to help (like a lot of beginners). Reading where it say to "dampen but, not too much" or "strop knife and cut smoothly rolling the swivel knife between......" . I wonder how many folks have lost out and just threw their kit in a junk closet in frustration.

Back to the video's:

Now as I've watch the videos (thanks to this forum and Hide Crafter's sale) I am really understanding the basic book and much of the discussion on this forum. I can see that casing and what "smoothly drawing knife" really mean. I am understanding the basic work because I have watched enough to know what the process at least "should" look like. When I ask a question in this forum now, I'll have a better chance of understaning the answer (or multiple answers). I've ordered some of the more detailed reference books that have been recommended here and will be able to use them because they will build on fundementals that I've actually seen done.

Now it will take time for me to develop skills and how high a quality I'll be able to reach is a different story but, I am excited at moving forward and not frustrated because I have a basic question every 5 minutes.

And I have learned that there is a group of really great folks here that are eager to encourage and help even with those of us that are struggling just to get started (and not just helping other pro's in the profession).

Thanks to the moderators and talanted leather workers that make this forum work.

Regis

hows that old cowboy saying go?

You get good judgement by doing alot of bad judgement. or something like that.

alot of things are like that. you try and if it works out great. if not it goes into the scrap bin.

when i first started, i was lucky enough to do it in JrHS. after that i was on my own. Another thing that college taught me is knowing where to go for the answers.

theres a really large new/used book store in town and im always there 2, 3x/month looking for books and that inducdes leather craft books.

other then that, if im not sure about how the project is suppose to work out, i will usually get some scrap leather and try it.

carving is one area i avoid since i foundout early in my leather work experience, i dont have the "eye" for the carving. i guess i can do alot of learning/practicing, but for me, im happy doing my leatherwork w/o the carving.

dont give up either. keep on trying. just think about the people/person that first started leather carving/work. they didnt have ANYONE to ask for help. you do.

Hi Regis, even though I've been doing leather work for a few years, since about 1974, until the Hidecrafters sale on VHS tapes I had never seen anybody use a swivel knife before. At least that knew more than I did. Everybody else had just done a little bit of stuff because I was doing it. The rest of the guys didn't love the leatherwork like I did and soon fell bye the wayside. I got George Hurst's chapter 1 beginning western carving, and a couple of more, all I can afford right now, LOL. I'm on disability and have a few things out that I ain't got my money for yet. That is gonna be a thing of the past now, I've learned the hard way to get my money up front. Anyway you are really right, there is nothing like seeing it done to help you know what's what. One seeing it done is worth a lot of books and pictures, no matter who they are by. I just waht to say hang in there, the longer you do leatherwork the better you get and the more fun it is. It really gets to be a lifestyle/way of life that you never want to be without. The kids might grow up and leave the nest, the wife/husband may decide to leave, or friends may not call, but as long as you got a little leather you can still do something and have fun doing it anyway. For me leatherworking probably doew as much to help my blood pressure and my diabetes as most of the medicine the Dr. gives me. Enoug said for now, just my dimes worth and keep on doing it. Billy P.