Sign in to follow this  
Tallbald

Proper Way To Blacken Edges Please?

Good evening all, and thank you administrators for allowing me to join the forum. Pretty new to the crafting of leather I am an occasional poster on another wonderful forum geared toward old west and frontier leatherwork items, and there are a few understandable restrictions on topics. My personal interests extend also though to modern holsters for concealed carry and Ruger handguns both DA and SA.

I recently started dyeing the edges of natural finished (neatsfoot oil followed by Skidmore Leather creme) holsters for a nice contrast. I dye with an artist's brush after edge sanding, then allow to dry, wet the edge with gum trag and burnish. I have a LOT of difficulty keeping the dye from bleeding some into the leather past the sanded edge, and at times farther. Would a different application method be faster and less prone to over-applying while getting down to the root of edge fibers? I see some suppliers sell roller trays I supposedly could roll the edge across to apply dye. I have also been told to use "edge blacking" but I am also told it is basically a paint that can come off with time. I'd sure appreciate advise. Thanks. Don

Don,

I am not familiar with your Skidmore creme, . . . I use Resolene almost exclusively for my leather work.

I have found that if I sand the edges AFTER a coat of Resolene, . . . I can turn em really black with dye or shoe polish, . . . and it bleeds very little into the product if I burnish it first.

Worth a try with your Skidmore creme.

May God bless,

Dwight

First off, here is the best tutorial on edges that I've seen: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18101

I follow this method and use a q-tip that's dipped in spirit dye, then pressed on the inside of the bottle to remove excess dye that could run or drip. When I've done a proper job of slicking and burnishing the edge, the q-tip will dye 8-10 inches before needing to be refilled. If I'm making something that has the same color edge as the rest of the piece (holster) I just slick, burnish, and dye with the airbrush as I spray the rest of the piece.

Thank you both! It appears I have been sequencing wrong by dyeing before I burnish. In my mind I was thinking a burnished surface would not absorb dye. The artist's brush would not glide smoothly along and I had to dab the dye on. Thank you both for the teaching. As an aside, a western style holster for a Ruger Old Army I am completing is close to done, and will have this edge treatment as well as a finish of wax compound I made using a recipe I found here on this forum. By weight equal parts beeswax (bought with a 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon), parrafin, and neatsfoot oil .Rubbed in hard it is giving a nice low luster sheen and soft feel. Thanks again, Don.

Be aware that the addition of wax to the edge before coloring may prevent the dye from getting into the leather.

And you are very welcome.

Just wanted to follow up with you all and thank you once more. I had to make the last part of my first embossed holster (the band the body slips down into) and it too needed the edge blackened. As taught, I edge trimmed, then wet with water and burnished well on a burnisher I turned from wood. The q-tip dipped in black dye just glided along leaving a beautiful black edge that once dried, I burnished again with the wax and neatsfoot oil mixture I talked about. So smooth and easy to do using the instructions given me. I didn't have shoe polish, but still had the Fiebings dye is why I used that. WOW. Don

Edited by Tallbald

I use a similar method to what has been described in other posts. One other little trick that I use on spots on the edge that don't take the dye well is a black Sharpie. If I am doing something that I can't having any bleeding, like a two-tone, I use a Sharpie. After a coat of Bag Kote, you can't tell the difference in the black from the Fiebing's dye.