MADMAX22

cowboy boot heel replacement

So I need to replace the rubber portion on the bottom of the heel of my boots. I wanna do this before it gets into the leather portion of the heel. I have some double H boots and on the bottom of the heel is a rubber layer then it goes into multiple layers of leather that make up the heel of the boot.

Anyone know where I can order a set to replace these.

Alos they look like they are glued and nailed on, I assume thats all I would have to do to replace them, pull the old ones, put new on and shape them properly.

So I need to replace the rubber portion on the bottom of the heel of my boots. I wanna do this before it gets into the leather portion of the heel. I have some double H boots and on the bottom of the heel is a rubber layer then it goes into multiple layers of leather that make up the heel of the boot.

Alos they look like they are glued and nailed on, I assume thats all I would have to do to replace them, pull the old ones, put new on and shape them properly.

i can get them if you need them. Broncobuster email me at barbkhide@hotmail.com

Hi,

I have all sizes in stock (and rubber heel nails). I need to measurements to get you the right size, Front to back & Side to side

With these measurements I can get a very close match for Cowboy Heels (rubber)

I know you did'nt ask but I will give quick tutorial...

1. Use a pair of dulled end cutter style wire cutters to remove the old heel. While pulling them off use a flat blade to push down any leather that may want to come up with the rubber heel.
  2. Sand the heel bases with a sanding block to remove old glue and flatten the base (glue down any layer of base that may have lifted) use 80 or 100 grit, hold the block flat and don't round out the edges.
  3. Apply glue to tooth picks and fill holes from nails. Nip them off flat.
  4. Rough up new heels and apply glue to heel bases and the new heels, let it tack up (15 or 20 min.)
  5. Apply new heel to heel base. Center the heel on the heel base, do not use the heel breast (the flat part) to line up heel, you may need that forward overlap. Remember, there are 1/4in washers around the nail holes in the rubber heel, when trimming you do not want to hit those or it will show when finished.
  6. Use a fence post or some kind of post to hold the boot steady while putting the nails in the heels (there are always old bench top boot jacks on ebay for $10.00 to $20.00) if you do much of your own boot work, it makes it much easier. Make sure your post will not damage the inside of the boot.
  7. Install nails, use a nail set to recess them a little, (not to much you will damage the washer in the heel).
  8. Trim excess rubber from edge with a "box cutter" type blade. I use a "fixed" blade type, the adjustables will wobble and mess up your cut. If you do this with the same conture of the heel base you will have very little sanding to do to even up the rubber to the heel base
  9. Sand off and smooth the trimmed rubber to the heel base (80 to 100 grit) finish with 150 grit to smooth finish.
  10. Apply heel and sole finish to sanded edges to finish and check inside boot to make sure nail points are not comming up thru your heel.

It is best to remove any insole in your boot if it is thick and rubbery, remove it while installing heel then glue it back in when done. They interfear with putting in the nails by making the boot jump around while hammering the nails in.

Rick J.

finished boots for web pics 011.JPG

post-6575-125492203989_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickybobby

I have the exact same issue. No luck with any help so far. Still trying to get info on this subject as well as a place to buy materials. Anyone??? Help!

PM Bronco or Ricky as both are still on the forums. I didnt get back to this thread in time to talk to either one and ended up just going to a boot repair place down the street. It was more expensive then doing it myself but it was done right and they lasted just fine after that.

Madmax22

Yeah, probably best that you didnt wait. I've emailed and posted questions several times and no one has reponded. Must be my aftershave...

PM Bronco or Ricky as both are still on the forums. I didnt get back to this thread in time to talk to either one and ended up just going to a boot repair place down the street. It was more expensive then doing it myself but it was done right and they lasted just fine after that.