Ian1783

Sold My Consew 206Rb, I Want Something More Appropriate To My Needs. Ideas?

I sold my Consew, as it was more machine than I felt I needed. A great machine, but a little much. I added a servo motor from Toledo and it was just about perfect except for the the size, weight and lack of portability.

I'm looking for more of a desktop-style walking foot for lighter leather (2 oz. sounds about right). My wife and I want to make pillows with a lot of leather we have in the 2 oz. range; good quality, furniture-grade (?) remnants. This is hobby/crafting situation.

We've used my Singer 316 with a walking-foot attachment, but while the machine is willing (1.5 amp motor), the walking-foot attachment is weak. We'll need to sew through as many as four layers of soft, fairly thin leather.

Thompson, Sailrite, any other desktop machine that might work well for us? Any ideas anyone?

Price is always a consideration, but I'm used to wheeling and dealing, hunting down what I want, and finding that almost everything is negotiable, so I'm looking for quality and dependability, as well as ease of use (love that servo motor!).

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

I'm afraid that you had the best machine for your money, in that Consew. The portable walking foot machines are going to disappoint you and probably cause you grief.

Sorry to see you unloaded your Consew. That puppy can be configured for luggability with a SCR motor. The Sailrite machine and it's siblings (they are all kind of clones) is a nice little machine for the back of the truck for repairs, but it is not really industrial. You can get smooth feet for it, but there are plastic parts inside and no safety clutch. Sailcloth and Sunbrella are handled pretty well, but a lot of leather no. Add it up seams equal 2oz + 2oz + 3oz welt + tape to hold together equals 8oz or there abouts. In occasional use maybe ok, but everyday use no. Go and get your Consew back.

Art

A bench top, portable machine that will handle the big leather jobs. I don't have one (can't justify the cost) but if what you want is a bench top machine that will do the "work" - this would be my choice.

http://www.artisansew.com/pdf/TORO-3200%20BT%2008%202012.pdf

It hasn't been out all that long, but it sure looks like a honey of a machine.

It has been around for about 3 years. I got to actually touch one at the Indianapolis IFolg show years ago. It is even heavier than a 441 head and if you add in a battery and inverter and it gets almost as heavy as a 441 and stand. It is a pretty good idea, and might be good for the back of a van where you could use it for the occasional job, but it's expensive for that. I've seen some portable 111s that might be something, but then you could have done something with your Consew.

Art

A bench top, portable machine that will handle the big leather jobs. I don't have one (can't justify the cost) but if what you want is a bench top machine that will do the "work" - this would be my choice.

http://www.artisanse... BT 08 2012.pdf

It hasn't been out all that long, but it sure looks like a honey of a machine.

My business partner has a 206RB and loves it. I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about this style of machine so I am not sure what you are hoping to achieve by getting rid of it.

The only option I can think of would be something like a 31k47 (31k48 with reverse) alternating presser foot machine running the 150W domestic motor and mounted in a portable base. Maybe a Singer 17 would be a few pounds lighter.