slipangle

Custom, Hand Made Stitching Awl Hafts~

Uncomfortable with my old Osborne, I decided to make myself a custom awl haft. And then, I figured, since I’m going to the trouble, why not make a few of them. And offer them up on the forum for those who might be interested in a one-of-kind, hand made tool. I really love making tools.

I made these awl hafts out of rosewood I’ve had for 30 years. I used Starrett #162 pin vises for the chucks. Size B. I turned a collar for the transition from wood to chuck out of nickel silver. Brass with 18% nickel added to it. I decided on this shape as it provides a place for the thumb and middle finger to push the blade, along with the palm. I place my index finger up on the chuck, for better control. But there are a few ways you can hold this tool.

I’m not super proficient with saddle stitching, but I’ve also found that this shape, with its turned finger area, can be held comfortably between the second and third fingers, or held in the crook of the thumb, as the thumb and index finger manipulate the needle, then flipped back up into position to punch holes. Haft #2 is a bit different. More of a standard shape. Built for slightly smaller hands, perhaps.

I based the design of this tool, and the size of the chuck, on the Vergez-Blanchard diamond awl blade, in short sizes. 1 1/2 to two inch. I had planned on including a V-B 45 mm blade with each tool but our domestic supplier is out of them and they’re back ordered for a month so, I’ve got some John James 1 3/4 inch blades coming from England and will include one of those with each tool. Un-sharpened. They should arrive next week. I hope.

Disclaimer and construction notes: The English and French diamond shaped awl blades in the smaller sizes fit these chucks. The longer, 55 mm V-B blades do not, without slight alteration. They’re too wide at 4 mm. But I am not sure the Osborne blades will fit as I don’t have one here to check. If you plan on using an Osborne blade it may require slight modification. Lightly grinding down the round, dimpled end so it fits in this tool. Deciding on which chuck to use was a compromise. The jaws of the next larger Starrett pin vise was just a tad too big. And, given the quality of the tools I wanted to produce, I wasn’t all that comfortable using some of the cheap Chinese made pin vises found on the Net.

The Starretts are expensive, by comparison, but I wanted to use a quality fitting. Other pin vises have wrench flats on them for tightening, which is handy, but I find these knurled chucks hold very well. I turn down a custom plug for the inside of the pin vise’s tubular body, out of aluminum, and insert it in the body to act as a stop for the blade. Depth to the stop is approximately one inch.

After the tool is assembled I orient a blade in the chuck and inlay a 1/8 inch diameter nickel silver spot on the top of the tool, in line with the flat of the blade, to help align the blade so the flats of the blade lay horizontally in the stitch groove. Not a super-precise system but with practice it works quite well.

Pricing something like this, as anyone who makes things by hand knows, is always a challenge. Of course, I’d like to get a lot for them. But, I’d also like to sell them. So, I am asking what I believe is a fair price. I’ve only made a few of these and, if past performance is indicative of future output, I’m likely to move on to something else to build. So, very limited edition, so to speak.

$78 each. Which includes a John James 1 3/4 inch blade. And free shipping, for now. Please send me a PM if interested and I’ll send you my Pay Pal info. Please refer to the tool you’re interested in by number. Thanks.

Dimensions of each tool listed below with pics.

#2 ...3 3/4" long 1 3/16 wide at widest point of handle. Slightly shorter than my other models. SOLD. Pending payment.

Awl2-2_zps41b41f8b.jpg

awl2-3_zpseb6381cd.jpg

#3 …. 4 1/4 long 1 1/8 inch wide.

awlhaft3-3_zpsd14f0915.jpg

awlhaft3-2_zpsbf1de739.jpg

Edited by slipangle

#4 … 4 1/4 long 1 3/16 wide.

awl4-2_zps94d571cd.jpg

awlhaft4-3_zpse6393f0a.jpg

#5…. 4 3/8 long 1 3/16 wide. For larger hands perhaps. NOTE: There is a slight difference/anomaly with this one. With the blade flat aligned with the orientation spot, this haft lays the diamond holes with the diamond leaning "toward" the user, rather than leaning away, if that makes sense. Still works fine but I wanted to mention that.

Awl5-2_zps56075007.jpg

Awl5-1_zps7b175484.jpg

#6….SOLD

awl6-1_zps5effbdda.jpg

Edited by slipangle

#2 , #5 and #6 are sold. Thanks folks.

Slip

#3 is SOLD.

Only #4 is still available. Thanks.

Edited by slipangle

Hi everyone, I bought one of these, and the craftsmanship is wonderful. It fits my hand just great. Mine is like number 6. Scott you do such a wonderful job on these. I hate to use it because it is so beautiful. The blade stays in and doesn't come out like my other one. Keep up the great work. !!!

Thank you, Capsterdog,

Very happy to hear you like it!

Scott

I got the #2 one and it is beautiful...fits my hand perfectly and is a joy to use. I'll be stitching together a Horween football leather Field Notes case with it tonight. Can't wait to use it some more!

Thank you 25b. Glad it's working out well for you!

please let me know when you make more....If i have the extra cash I would like one

ditto. i don't know how i missed this thread.

Thanks BigLew, and Ramrod,

Not sure when I can get to more of these. Had shoulder surgery recently, which is slowing down my projects.

But will certainly get in touch should I do some more of these. Thanks for the interest.

Scott

please send a PM when you're up and producing them again. i don't want to miss another chance at getting a hold of one.

Please add me to your list as I would purchase one as well.

Thank you

Howdy Manypawz,

I just finished these two. Ramrod wanted one in a lighter wood so I used a small piece of European boxwood.

The thinner one went to him. But I have the other, fuller one. 1 1/8 inch diameter. About 4 3/16ths long from butt end to end of chuck. Very comfortable in the hand.

This one is available , if you like. Let me know if it something you might like.

Thanks for the note,

Scott

Please add me to your list as I would purchase one as well.
Thank you

post-55781-0-06169300-1424648007_thumb.j

post-55781-0-87614200-1424648009_thumb.j

for anyone thinking about getting one from slipangle, do it! mine is a work of art. the level of finish and the construction are top notch. these are far and away better than anything i've seen on a vendor's site.

i would highly recommend looking into having one made. the cool thing is that you can have it altered, within reason, to fit your hand. these are nnot off the shelf items. i chose one that is a bit smaller than usual, even though i have big hands. this is a beaut!

well done, scott.

Would like to add my name to the "list" if you are still taking orders. Those look extremely well built and ergonomic in the hand- awesome work

RMR

Hello Strangman645,

Will do, thank you for the interest.

I did just finish up a couple of these, and have more planned.

Waiting to hear back from a person in line who showed interest.

And if they don't want this next one, I will forward you a picture.

Thanks very much,

Scott

Please add me to your list as well for one of the darker colors.

Thought I'd better get in here and update this thread. My sincere thanks to you all for the support of my little tool making operation.

Here are some pics of the most recent ones I've made. All have been sold but I want to let anyone interested know that I am currently making some more. I'm afraid I had only one small piece of that light-colored boxwood. So I am now back using my rosewood as I have more of it.

I'm also trying a new shape as can bee seen in awl haft #9. based on the classic shape of an Osborne or Gomph rosewood handled tool.

Also, I have decided to up my price just a bit. Hope that is understandable. Time and materials what they are, I just couldn't justify leaving them at the old price. My thanks to those of you who have purchased at the new price without batting an eye. I appreciate it.

I am now asking $85 for these, plus 5 dollars shipping. If you have any inquiries, please send me a personal message.

Thanks very much.

Scott

#'s 7 & 8

awls%207amp8-1_zpsher96wmi.jpg

awls%207amp8-3_zpsrewj3jt2.jpg

Awl%20haft%209-2_zpsjiyqmmfb.jpg

Awl%20haft%209-1_zps4footfpq.jpg

awl%20haft%2010-2_zpskztbpz20.jpg

Awl%20haft%2010-1_zpsox0kj5j4.jpg

I really want one, maybe sometime soon.

These are wonderful, I bought early on and it beautiful and very functional for me..I love mine it fits my hand well and comfortable! Piece of art!

I just received my awl Haft from Scott Today- its a piece of art !!! I have 4 other hafts( 2 Bob Douglas, another custom built, and a osborne). This is hands down ( 100x) the most comfortable one I have. The slight swell at the end gives a very comfortable place to rest your thumb on - which really helps when pushing the awl through the leather. It also has a very functional, as well as aesthetically pleasing, small raised pice of nickel silver that has been placed in line with the awl blade- this allows you, by feel, to be sure that the awl blade is correctly aligned with the stitch line . There rosewood is outstanding.

If you are looking for an awl haft- go no further- this is the best one I have seen and had my hands on. Scott has been a pleasure to work with and is truly a craftsman. KUDOS

Bob R

Howdy Manypawz,

I just finished these two. Ramrod wanted one in a lighter wood so I used a small piece of European boxwood.

The thinner one went to him. But I have the other, fuller one. 1 1/8 inch diameter. About 4 3/16ths long from butt end to end of chuck. Very comfortable in the hand.

This one is available , if you like. Let me know if it something you might like.

Thanks for the note,

Scott

Hello

I am interested in this awls.

Can you send me an email : leathertoolz@gmail.com

Thanks

Edited by leathertoolz