LederRudi

What Kind Of Finish

Hi all,

what kind of finish would you recommend after the application of Fiebing’s Professional Oil Dye?

Most of my leather items are belts, holsters, wallets, knife sheaths, magazine carriers, and a very occasional wallet or purse.

I use Feibings oil dye on almost all of them.

I use Resolene as the final finish, again, on almost all of them. The exception is usually a period piece, deemed to look like it is much older, . . . on it I will use a blend of beeswax and neatsfoot oil.

The Resolene is always mixed with water in a 50/50 concentration, . . . applied with a cheap little bristle brush.

Hope this helps.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you, Dwight!

Most of my leather items are belts, holsters, wallets, knife sheaths, magazine carriers, and a very occasional wallet or purse.

I use Feibings oil dye on almost all of them.

I use Resolene as the final finish, again, on almost all of them. The exception is usually a period piece, deemed to look like it is much older, . . . on it I will use a blend of beeswax and neatsfoot oil.

The Resolene is always mixed with water in a 50/50 concentration, . . . applied with a cheap little bristle brush.

Hope this helps.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi, what is the reason of mixing Resolene with water??

Hi, what is the reason of mixing Resolene with water??

because if you don't, it will ALWAYS apply to heavily with an extreme amount of gloss and the possibility of cracking, and that's if you manage to get it on cleanly without any smears and bubbles. Always apply it 50/50, building up your desired coverage with light coats.

because if you don't, it will ALWAYS apply to heavily with an extreme amount of gloss and the possibility of cracking, and that's if you manage to get it on cleanly without any smears and bubbles. Always apply it 50/50, building up your desired coverage with light coats.

Copied that. Thanx for the tip.

Totally on the mark, I use TanKote as well and cut it 50/50 with distilled water. Both are too concentrated in their purchased form in my opinion. Not to mention that you get twice as much finish.

Chief

Totally on the mark, I use TanKote as well and cut it 50/50 with distilled water. Both are too concentrated in their purchased form in my opinion. Not to mention that you get twice as much finish.

Chief

Truth is yours.

Agree.

N