leatherworklee

Hand Press ?

I would like to have a hand press of some kind or other but do not feel like i can justify the cost of a new one. Has anyone ever built one or modified something else ( C-Clamp, pony clamp etc.) to use? I use a lot of 2-D and 3-D stamps and alphabets but sometimes have problems with "bounce" or double images. Any Ideas? Thanks Lee

The best solution for you would be a drill press with a burnt out motor unless you can find a inexpensive working one.

Arbor press from Harbor Freight.

I use my shopsmith

The arbor press works but the working height is limited and you might have to drill out the ram to make it work.

With the drill press you can use a large chuck and there is ample room between the table and the chuck.

Id do more practice with stamping. its free other then the scrap you use.

if you use a press, you would have to get one large enough and one with a throat deep enough to reach into the center of the work. You can roll up the leather to get in further into the work space, but the throat size will dictate how much you can get into.

if youre handy with metal tools, there no reason you couldnt fab something up.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying........

If you had a press, you would not use the handle for the stamps.

You would just use a flat piece of metal big enough to cover the stamp so it would

emboss evenly. It looks like you could get a press from Harbor Freight for less than $100.00

There is some old information here Arbor press

Read through the posts and there are pictures of Hydraulic presses available

6 Ton A-Frame Bench Shop Press

and a little more than $100.00

12 Ton Shop Press for $121.99 on Amazon.com

They are probably a little more expensive now, but you might save enough wasted leather to make up for it.

That's what I decided when I got my press. Once you have a press, then you could get some cutting dies

to make your pieces faster with very little waste. I make a lot of round coasters and it sure makes it easier

to make one perfectly round...

I hope this is of some help.....

Cheryl, what press did you get?

Kevin

Cheryl, what press did you get?

Kevin

Hi Kevin

After I tried the 1/2 ton Arbor press... I was fortunate to buy a Tippmann 700 Clicker

(I was lucky to be able to buy it at the time... of course I had to get laid off where I had

worked for 20 years & collect severance pay to be able to afford it... )

I use the Clicker a lot because I make things combining using emboss plates and 3d stamps and

hand tooling and I also have cutting dies for a watch band, round and square coasters,

round and square mouse pads, check books, wallets & ID cases.

Read through the link for Arbor Press There's Lots of info & pictures there...

The company I buy the emboss plates from Duckreektraders uses a 12 ton shop press

for their business and they shared pictures and directions for what they use...

post-15330-007253600 1308622632_thumb.jp

Knowing what I know now, if I couldn't afford the Clicker & Air compressor I would probably

get the 12 Ton Shop Press for $121.99 from Amazon.com and put it on a work bench.

post-15330-032100900 1308624463_thumb.jp 12 Ton Shop Press from Amazon

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edited by LNLeather

Very helpful, thank you.

If you are handy with wood working tools, . . . and if you have a couple of 2 x 4's laying around, . . . you can make one like this.

I use it for all kinds of stuff, . . . plus molding holsters.

The 8 ton press from Harbor Freight at $19 was THE expensive part of the whole thing.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-085884200 1308681562_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I made a round of the local welding/ Blacksmith shops today and bought an old but working drill press for $10.00 It doesn't have along enough throw for the work they do so they had replaced it with a bigger newer model. it should work great for what I need. Thanks again, Lee