NeoWolf

Leather Newbie!

Hello there! I am a recent newbie to leather. I really like what I am doing so far but I know I have tons to learn. Right now my main focus is leather knife sheaths and stacked leather handles for knives.

I recently came into possession of 2 old Kabar knives in sad condition. One belongs to my 80 year old father....a Mk1 Fighting/Utility knife....it belonged to his uncle who was in the Navy. The other is a Mk2 Kabar (the one most are familiar with..) that belonged to my mothers father also in the navy.

Niether had been cared for at all and I am trying to refurbish them.

So I am at the leather now. The stacked leather washer handles are in sad shape. The handle on the Mk2 began to disintegrate after cleaning them and I am going to have to replace them. The other seems to be fairing better but still needs work. Niether has sheaths.....so I took up leather working!! LOL

I hope to learn some tips and tricks to make it go smoother. Right now all I have is some basic tools and a shoulder of leather I picked up at a leather shop to work with. So let the fun begin!!

Thanks for letting me join!!

NeoWolf

Search on YouTube for 'leather handle knife' and 'knife sheath making'; there are loads of videos

This website has forums covering all aspects of knifemaking, including leatherwork http://www.britishblades.com

Also go to the articles page, then the menu towards the top left corner, and click on tutorials. There is one for a leather handled knife

Go the Kabar website http://www.kabar.com

On the home page click on 'learn more'

At the bottom of that page there is an index or menu. Click on 'How Kabar knives are made'

If you Surf on Google & YouTube for Kabar you'll probably find other useful references

Edited by zuludog

Thanks zuludog for the reply, I have actually been in contact with Kabar about them, they have a kit to replace the leather, pommel and guard. Problem is with mine is that the end of the tang where the pommel attaches is broken. So I have to go with what I have.

I will check out the british blades site.

Thanks!

So, besides leatherwork you need knife repair. You could try Kabar or post your problem on the British Blades forum, along with a picture of the damaged blade. There are lots of skilled metalworkers and knife makers on there who may be able to advise you or do the work for you.

Although it says British Blades, there are lots of members in the USA

Depending upon your interest level you could also look into forging the metal for the pommel yourself with a homemade forge. One day I would love to take chunks of steel and pound them out into a knife, the make a sheath for it as well... One day.... http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Forge/

Perhaps you could drill a new hole in the tang to attach the pommel? Just a thought.