lcmattson

First Project: Hip Quiver

First real project. Lots of amateur mistakes, and very simple build. I'd do it again, but more skillfully; clean up all the rough spots and add more stitching, but it was a good learning process. I kinda "MacGyvered" it, (harvested the hardware from horse halters, used an old bracelet for the decoration, didn't really research the strap system, and such) so its a bit scrappy, but I think I'm still proud of it for my first project that isn't a little bracelet or just designs on paper. I just wish I had carving tools and dye.

Any tips on when I make more? I have 2 more in the works. One is still on paper, and the other I have the pattern cut out, but I haven't started sewing or anything like that.

post-44357-0-88819100-1377452333_thumb.j

post-44357-0-94082900-1377452336_thumb.j

post-44357-0-18838100-1377452341_thumb.j

post-44357-0-73445400-1377452345_thumb.j

From one who was deeply into 3D archery some years back and a relative newbie leathercrafter( like that word), it looks good. Kinda looks period. Leather contrast looks good.The large D buckle looks a little out of place. Good even placed stitches. I like the "rough" handmade look. The leg strap looks cool and may work against the "period" look. That would be difficult to walk with through the forest.

The bracelet thingy looks very good. Bells?

Is it difficult to draw the arrows from the quiver with it being straight up and down like that? It was my understanding that a forward angle aiding in being able to draw or return the arrows a bit easier.

For 3D shooting, this probably isn't an issue, but if you were to make one for hunting, you'll want to look into making one that angles backwards to prevent being snagged by brush and branches.

Drawing arrows isn't half bad, but I certainly won't be taking it hunting. I do agree that my next quivers will be slanted for any sort of hunting. Thanks, Shtoink!

Thanks for the quick critique, Red Cent! I wasn't really planning anything for the design, and this quiver will only be for target practice and plinking around with my buddies in the back yard. No bells on this one, though, haha! The feedback you gave me is really helpful, and I will remember it for my next quivers.

Great job from a fellow newbie leatherworker! I really like the contrasting look of the natural leathers. The stitching also gives it an old world, rough and tumble look. Also, your choice in hardware and decorations was really creative. Way to make due with what you have on hand.

My suggestion for your next few quivers would be to work on finishing the edges on the top opening of the quivers. Even if it’s not a full finish (just beveling and burnishing the edges to clean them up), I think it would be a quality addition and improve overall look and feel of the piece. The more leather pieces I look at and research, the more I find that clean and finished edges take a piece from good to great.

you're going to wear out that belt loop pretty quickly, suggest a leather loop that belt is threaded through in the manner of some holsters