norfair86

Hot Wax Dipping

Hello all! I plan on making a leather flask/bottle, and I will be dipping it in hot wax to seal it. My question is: do I have to use beeswax, or can I use any other kind of wax? Beeswax is really expensive! Thanks.

Hello all! I plan on making a leather flask/bottle, and I will be dipping it in hot wax to seal it. My question is: do I have to use beeswax, or can I use any other kind of wax? Beeswax is really expensive! Thanks.

I have used both bee's wax, and paraphin. I recommend bee's wax. It's well worth the cost. However, if you don't want to spend the money, then there's no need. There also, by the way, is no need to go to the hassle of dipping the bottle. What I do is heat the wax almost to the point of boiling, and then I fill my bottles to the top and let them sit full for 3 minutes. I do time it just to let you know. The wax will soak into the leather like water, and when it cools, the leather will actually feel like plastic. I have had people open my bottles and look inside because they don't believe me when I tell them that it's just leather and wax! And on that note, if you use bee's wax and let your bottle (full of water of course!) warm up in the sun a little, the water will get a nice subtle honey flavor. And it smells so good when it's melting!

Hi norfair. Where are you currently looking at your beeswax prices and how much are you wanting to melt up? Some hobby stores sell it fairly inexpensively by the pound for candlemakers and cosmetics. There is also a place on amazon that sells cosmetic-grade beeswax for less than $25 for two pounds (that includes the shipping too). And how much do you want at once? I can buy beeswax for $1/oz at the local natural/health food grocery store here, maybe a similar store in your neck of the woods does the same?

Put ads in the local papers/internet for wax, many people who keep bees just throw away the wax! I get mine from a number of sources.

I use to just pour the wax into the top of the flask but I now use a deep fryer with a thermostat that I half fill with wax for this purpous.

Does anyone use pitch to line thier bottles/flasks? I have not yet, but I use it to line my leather tankards.

Nighthawk, do you have any authentic bottle/flask patterns that you can share? I have made bottles but not to any particular design.

Put ads in the local papers/internet for wax, many people who keep bees just throw away the wax! I get mine from a number of sources.

I use to just pour the wax into the top of the flask but I now use a deep fryer with a thermostat that I half fill with wax for this purpous.

Does anyone use pitch to line thier bottles/flasks? I have not yet, but I use it to line my leather tankards.

Nighthawk, do you have any authentic bottle/flask patterns that you can share? I have made bottles but not to any particular design.

Sure! First, here's a picture of my own personal one:

264969_136135273133444_100002109169454_262546_2884107_n.jpg

Here's the pattern:

299782_174841065929531_100002109169454_378417_1428262600_n.jpg

The inside lines are the stitching lines.When it's all sewn together, I soak it in a bucket of warm water for about 10 minutes, and then I pack it full of barley. I pack it as tight as I can and stretch the leather as much as possible. I like to use belly leather- it stretches really easily!As far as using pitch goes... My workshop does double duty as the bathroom for three cats. The smell of litter boxes AND hot pitch would be unbearable! I like the way hot bee's wax masks the odor of cat poo...

Edited by Nighthawk

Thank you very much for posting, I will try it for my next bottle. Ill post pictures of the first bottles I made later today. Its a nice looking bottle.

Edited by OdinUK

Thanks for the advice! I have just started my flask, and I have all the "ingredients" ready, except for the wax. I found a few beekeepers locally but the wax is still pricey! I think I might opt for paraffin since it's a lot cheaper.

nice looking flask....how many ounces in volume is it?

question: slow guy here........if you fill the flask to the top with melted wax, i'm assuming that in 3 minutes it won't cool completely. does it mean that you pour off the excess? is the purpose of the wax treatment to avoid any fluids from soaking into the flask? if so, how long does this "waterproofing" last?

also.....what kind of a stopper are you using?

Edited by ramrod

What do you use for a plug Nighthawk?

I use the cork from a bottle of Highland Park. I do a lot of Celtic festivals, and the various distilleries do whiskey tastings. I just get the corks from the empty bottles!

nice looking flask....how many ounces in volume is it?

question: slow guy here........if you fill the flask to the top with melted wax, i'm assuming that in 3 minutes it won't cool completely. does it mean that you pour off the excess? is the purpose of the wax treatment to avoid any fluids from soaking into the flask? if so, how long does this "waterproofing" last?

also.....what kind of a stopper are you using?

It holds 2 bottles of Aquafina, however much that is!

After 3 minutes, the wax is still really hot, and really fluid. I do poor out the excess. The purpose of the wax treatment is indeed to waterproof the bottle. The waterproofing is permanent, as the leather is permeated with the wax. The leather actually feels like plastic once it's dried. I've been using this bottle for 2 years now.