Jordan

My 1st attempt at a cover for my Bible

Couple of quick pics of a cover for my Bible I am putting together, 2nd pic is an out of focus view of the inside. Still needs sewing and alot of fine tuning. My stamping and carving skills seem to be on vacation as of late.

Bible_Cover_Outside.JPG

Bible_Cover_Inside.JPG

post-4868-1202963600_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1202963652_thumb.jpg

Looks like a pretty good start to me Jordan. Keep it up, Warren.

Very nice. Good integration of carving, tooling, and stamps. What weight did you use?

Regis

I like the border, and the notched out spine. Once again showing some design thinking. Good job.

Looks good. I like the notched out spine, too. I used that cross meander as a border for my Bible cover. I've been thinking about going back and dyeing the cross part of the pattern black. Don't know if my hands are that steady though. Post some pics when you get 'er done.

Thanks for the kind comments, My hope is that it will look better when I put a finish on it, seems I fall into the trap of the more I tinker the more I can mess it up on most things. I noticed the cross stamp does not sit flat on my stone, I get a deeper impression towards the top of the cross when held straight up and down I don't know if this is right or just a poor tool? Not sure of the wt. 4/5 I think, pretty thin maybe an eighth of an inch. It will be thicker on the edges and spine due to the sandwich of the interior liner and the border of the same wt. as the cover.

It's done, I am glad it is for me because there is way to much wrong with it to offer it as a gift or for sale. The next one will be better. I included a couple of different lighting methods.

P2150074.JPG

P2150073.JPG

P2150072.JPG

P2150071.JPG

P2150067.JPG

post-4868-1203121206_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1203121237_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1203121261_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1203121289_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1203121322_thumb.jpg

Very nice work, Jordan. Did you put your name on it anywhere? In regard to the tool not sittting flat on your stone, it's probably a bad tool. I have the set of three, and they are all flat. Might need to trade that one in.

This one's incognito, no signature or makers mark, keep um guessing at the antique road show in a hundred years. :innocent:

JORDAN..............i am not GIVING YOU AN " A " on you bible cover....

you earned it..... :thumbsup:

Another book cover, alot simpler design on this one, my stitching is improving but messed up the finish it was supposed to be smoke black hilite but I ended up putting way to much neetsfoot on it. Now I know to use it sparingly LOL.

P2190076.JPG

P2190077.JPG

P2190079.JPG

post-4868-1203469415_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1203469449_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1203469474_thumb.jpg

Jordan,

The Bible cover turned out great. Ya know, I never looked twice at that cross meander stamp when I see it by itself. Seeing it done gives me a new appreciation for it - good job. Regarding the other cover with the heart on the front. I don't always think outside the box. I am sitting there thinking "OK, what IS that heart stamp?" Then I saw the hourglass meander in the corners and it hit me. Good job. That can't have been real easy to keep lined up, and you pulled it off like champ. Congrats. Looking forward to seeing more.

You've just reminded me that my grandmother was hinting at a bible cover over christmas. I keep forgetting. Guess I'll have to fit that one in here pretty soon, maybe in time for Easter Sunday.

Thanks guys, the hearts were neat looking when I saw them on the tandy site, they have a short tutorial pdf for download so I gave it a try and yes keeping it all lined up is a real bear.

Thanks guys, the hearts were neat looking when I saw them on the tandy site, they have a short tutorial pdf for download so I gave it a try and yes keeping it all lined up is a real bear.

Actually the pdf was sent in their email to me not on their site it has property rights stuff at the bottom so I don't think I can post a link....Jordan

That tutorial is on the website also or was . I downloaded it from there. You can also get it already printed out at the TLF if they have them. Every time I went in they were out so I got it from the site.

Warren

whoever thunk it up must have a very interesting thought process, :yeah: to get hearts from an hourglass.