OK, first attempt at a holster. I have some experience with leather and handstitching, but had never tried a holster before.

Thoughts after...I sure wish I had a clicker, a hydraulic press, a press for wet-forming, a sewing machine, a burnishing wheel, a snap setter and some dummy guns!

Seriously though, it was a good experience. Everything was done by hand, including the stitching, and I was fairly happy with the outcome.

BTW, the gun is a Kahr PM9.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

Savage

PM9Holster1FrontR.jpg

PM9Holster1Back.jpg

PM9Holster1Loaded.jpg

A+ MAKES ME PROUD THAT YOU ARE HERE. :blahblahblah::notworthy:

You did a great job! Your stitching looks prefect to me. I'll throw in a Gold Star to go along with Luke's A+.

Very nice for a first holster, actually very nice for a tenth or twentieth holster. You should be pleased and proud.

Exceptionally nice workmanship.

Thanks for all the kind words folks. I really appreciate it.

I would be entirely remiss if I didn't thank all those that have posted in this forum regarding the various steps, procedures and techniques in making these types of holsters. I did a significant amount of reading and study prior to even starting this project. I'm sure that the hard work of others and their willingness to post saved me numerous mistakes when it actually was my turn to try. So THANKS!!

I'd like to make a black one next, but need to experiment with the whole "vinageroon thing" first before trying that. So, I may make another similar to this one for my Glock 23 and see how that comes out.

One thing. I'll second the post that said that cheap hardware doesn't set too well. My snaps moved to the side a little when I set them and that was annoying. I'm gonna have to spring for some DOT ones if I'm going to keep trying.

Cheers,

Savage

Great job! The only area I see that can use improvement is the edges....unless the intent is a non-colored edge, in which case you did use fine.

Edited by TwinOaks

Hey, nice lookin' holster! I love that color with the white stitching. What did you use to finish?

Also, how'd you go about attaching the belt loops to the holster? It looks like you added some risers under the snaps but, I'm curious how you attached those guys to the body of the holster.

Edited by LeatherCaptain

Also, how'd you go about attaching the belt loops to the holster? It looks like you added some risers under the snaps but, I'm curious how you attached those guys to the body of the holster.

I'd be willing to guess there's a T-nut sandwiched between the two layers of the holster wing.

Bronson

Sorry for the delay.

That's exactly correct, there's a t-nut in between the layers. As for the finishing, there's no dye, just a light coat of neatsfoot oil and then resolene.

Regarding the edges...I must admit that I got a little impatient there. I should have dyed them and then sealed. But I just hand-burnished and then sealed them along with the rest. As I commented earlier, I wish the holster rode just about a half-inch lower. So, when I have time to do the replacement I'll work a little harder on the edges.

As an aside, I started another IWB holster for my HK P7 and I did a few things differently. First I used a piece of leather with a bit looser grain thinking that I could get greater detail in the wet mold. I also used alcohol instead of water for the molding process. Lastly I stitched both sides prior to wet molding. Frankly I didn't like the results of any of those choices. The loose-fibered leather doesn't work well for the flesh side. Plus, even though I usd alcohol thinking it would stiffen it up, it really didn't get very stiff. Plus, it took a lot of time to get the alcohol smell out of the piece and it left some pretty bad splotches. I didn't quite get the stitching on the trigger guard side right and it was extremely tight when wet molding. So, all in all, I liked the first process (i.e. This holster) better.

I may or may not finish the new one. I may just scrap it!

Savage

Edited by savage_here

Nice work on the first holster.

If you don't like the newest attempt, scrap it and start over. The P7 is a tricky little devil to make a holster for due to the squeeze cocker, the short barrel, the large trigger guard and the butt-heavy design. It's almost the "perfect storm" of design challenges. It make take a few attempts to end up with something you like. Just hang in there and you'll figure out what does and doesn't work for you.

Off the bat, I would suggest a slightly sharper draw angle, stiff leather, and a design that leaves some leather below the barrel to counter the P7's tendency to lean out. Good luck!!