Sign in to follow this  
Fredo

2 Questions, Wax Build Up And Custom Color Threads

Hi ya'll. I have a cpl of questions that came up while I was making a cpl of collars for my buddy's little dog.

First, I am getting a large build up of wax from the prewaxed thread I use. I buy the thread at Tandy because it's close, it's fairly priced and it's pretty strong. However when I stitch any item I get a large amount of build up at the stitch holes. I can actualy live with that as long as I can find a decent way to clean it off. On the the question, how do you folks clean thread wax off of your projects? Am I the only one that has this issue, am I doing something wrong?

Question #2. Again while making the collars the thought came to me that it would be nice to custom dye my own thread for certain items. Can I use a white cotton thread and dye it to match the colors I'm using? Where do I find this white cotton thread and how dificult will it be for a beginner like myself to wax it (does it need to be waxed)?

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Fredo San Diego CA

Hi ya'll. I have a cpl of questions that came up while I was making a cpl of collars for my buddy's little dog.

First, I am getting a large build up of wax from the prewaxed thread I use. I buy the thread at Tandy because it's close, it's fairly priced and it's pretty strong. However when I stitch any item I get a large amount of build up at the stitch holes. I can actualy live with that as long as I can find a decent way to clean it off. On the the question, how do you folks clean thread wax off of your projects? Am I the only one that has this issue, am I doing something wrong?

Question #2. Again while making the collars the thought came to me that it would be nice to custom dye my own thread for certain items. Can I use a white cotton thread and dye it to match the colors I'm using? Where do I find this white cotton thread and how dificult will it be for a beginner like myself to wax it (does it need to be waxed)?

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

GO CHARGERS!!!!

Fredo San Diego CA

If you are using prewaxed thread, rub it vigorously between two layers of plain brown paper. It will melt the wax, and send it deeper into the thread, while at the same time remove the excess wax from the thread.

You can dye your own thread (white unwaxed linen thread), and dye it any color you like. When it's dry, simply rub it on a cake of beeswax, and then use the method I described with the brown paper. You can use fabric dyes, or leather dyes. Or you can simply click on this link , and order prewaxed linen thread in many colors and weights. You can order a sample card that will show you every color they sell, and you can see how thick all the different weights are. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link Hilly, that''s exatcly what i was looking for. I think I will try to dye my own. I would go broke if I wanted to buy every color though.

The tip on wax management if perfect. I tried it last night with very good results.

LOVE THIS SITE!