WesTexas

Leather Treatment For Bbq Knives

I was asked to make some basic working sheaths for a set of knives used by a group that smokes meat for non-profits at no profit. They have a smoker and go to the event a day ahead of time and smoke the meat.

They have a new set of knives and would like to keep them from getting banged around. Since they didn't come with any sheathes they asked if I'd help them out. Of course I will and at no charge. They don't want anything fancy, just a working piece of equipment.

My question is - Does the leather on the inside of the sheath need to be treated in a special manner to prevent health risks should a greasy knife get slipped into it?

Well first meat or not, you should always seal the inside of your sheaths.But when it comes to meat handling, you should NEVER put uncleaned knives in and out of sheaths.Any bacteria buildup in the sheath will be taken right back to the meat being cut, bad enough pre-cooked but could be deadly when serving the meat.Dave

I think I would make some out of Kydex instead of leather for BBQ knives.

I think I would make some out of Kydex instead of leather for BBQ knives.

I'm with Bill on this one... you can use bleach solution to sanitize Kydex..... not so good for leather.