Sign in to follow this  
Alan Bell

Rawhiding tools

Thought I'd put up some photos of the things I use to braid and make string.

From top to bottom; left to right

rolling board, pliers, hammer, cement, leather strips(for collars) calipers, rawhide lace, ruler, more leather strips, Quirt, roll paper tape, saddle soap, scissors, knife, fid, rawhide lace, another fid, more leather collars, pliers, rawhide lace Vaquero Cream, life eye needles, side cutters and a burnishing stick

rawhide_in_humidor.JPG

My humidor

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

They don't want to see us unite; all they want us to do is keep on fussing and fighting!
Bob Marley - Top Ranking

post-1670-1208408949_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the post Alan. That is a really cool looking quirt.

Rob

Alan did you cut your lace yourself? if so how about a tutorial about cutting rawhide lace. it is one of the hardest things I have tried to do and to get nice looking lace that you have pictured you have to be good at cutting to get it that uniform. thanks for sharing

Skip

Rob, Thanks, that's my first try at the Argentine technique for fid work I first learned about it through the TCA but couldn't get it to work until last month when I went and visited Nate Wald again in Montana. That Quirt handle is 50 strands and the button knots are a very different Gaucho knots (from the 'real' Gauchos of Argentina) they don't call them "Gaucho". They call the base of that knot a 'left hand ring knot' or a reverse ring. Not even sure if I can describe how to tie it without the person there because it makes a few odd passes including one where you don't cross over or under any other strings!

Skip, I'll try and post some pics of me cutting rawhide lace next time I do it. I have some pics of me cutting horse hide using the Argentine method that I will post. This method could be used for calf hide too.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Though I try to find the answers to all the questions they ask; still I know it is impossible to go living through the past
Bob Marley - Natural Mystic

Alan How was your visit with Nate, hope it was a good one.

A fella doesn't need alot of tools to cut good strings, just have his hide right.