zapmaster321

Newbie Looking For Tools

Hello Everyone,

After a failed attempt to make a wallet using a lockstitch sewing awl and a case of the "I can do that's" (and a hefty dose of frustration) I have decided to start over and do things the right way. I have purchased The Art of Hand Sewing Leather and a couple other introductory books, and the complete set of making leather cases is on my to-buy list. However, after browsing the forum I have come to learn the mantra of buying tools for the project at hand and as is my want, buying the best. Can anyone provide manufactures and experiences for tools like awls, overstitch wheels, groovers, knifes, pretty much the basic stuff for stitching two pieces of leather together. I have browsed the local tandy store but with little experience in the field I do not exactly know what to look for, or where I should be looking. Any suggestions would be greatly appricated.

Thank you in advance,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Chuck Burrows made two fine videos on Western holster and Sheath making. They show the hand sewing process very well. Chuck uses the basic tools in his videos and shows you how to use them.

Holster Video

Sheath Video

For basic tools like an overstitch wheel, contact Kevin at Springfield Leather Company, for the best quality handstitching awl (Douglas), contact Vandy at Sheridan Leather Outfitters, both are in the links at the top of the page.

Art

I would avoid most of the "new" tools from Tandy. Craftool is not what it once was. I added to my old set by buying things as needed from ebay... focusing on Craftool Co, Craftool USA and Craftool (with just numbers and no letters)

The least expensive but Quality "pro" versions of tools, in my opinion, is Barry King. But there is a plethora of other makers out there that I'm sure the others will name for you.

Osborne is known for the cutting tools and punches.

Bruce Johnson has a good collection of older tools on his site that might be tempting.

http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/index.php/leather_tools_for_sale/

Thanks Art,

I started at Springfield leather after I discovered them while looking for a certain leather. I will checkout those videos as well.

Thanks again

Thank you Sylvia, I am checking out Bruce Johnson now, and will look up Barry King

I would avoid most of the "new" tools from Tandy. Craftool is not what it once was. I added to my old set by buying things as needed from ebay... focusing on Craftool Co, Craftool USA and Craftool (with just numbers and no letters)

The least expensive but Quality "pro" versions of tools, in my opinion, is Barry King. But there is a plethora of other makers out there that I'm sure the others will name for you.

Bruce Johnson has a good collection of older tools on his site that might be tempting.

http://brucejohnsonl...tools_for_sale/

For a great round knife check out J. Cook. Jeff makes some really great cobalt knives. I really love mine from him, and I have 4 others that I rarely use anymore. King has some of the best tools for the money and great customer service.

http://brucejohnsonl...tools_for_sale/

I just bought the Tandy Deluxe Starter Kit because it was on sale for $70. Was that a mistake? I can probably return it since there is a store local to me. I'm a complete beginner, a starter set made some sense to me. Is there a better place to look for a starter set, or should I just buy individual tools?

Thanks,

Martin

I just bought the Tandy Deluxe Starter Kit because it was on sale for $70. Was that a mistake? I can probably return it since there is a store local to me. I'm a complete beginner, a starter set made some sense to me. Is there a better place to look for a starter set, or should I just buy individual tools?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martimar:

I can't say it was a mistake because I got one in January for some tools I didn't have (mallet, adjustable swivel knife, dyes and finishes) The problem is that the tools in the kits are worse than the tools you can buy from the shelf at tandy. In fact the same basket weave stamp number, sans the X or Z or what ever is included to indicate they came from kits... And the same basket weave from the shelf are two different sizes. I had one bend... another member had one break in the middle of a project.

As a beginner I think the kit is fine for you. Just understand that your first projects are not so likely to turn out perfect. Eco Flo dyes and finishes give some people fits and you'll hear a lot of "get rid of that eco flo crap" which has some validity.

Still when you feel ready to move to the next step and buy better tools, go for the best quality you can afford. You can always donate these tools to the local scout troop... or veteran's home, or wounded warrior program.

I hope this helps... but ultimately you and your wallet will have to decide what's right for you. ;)

Good luck.

Hi Martimar:

I can't say it was a mistake because I got one in January for some tools I didn't have (mallet, adjustable swivel knife, dyes and finishes) The problem is that the tools in the kits are worse than the tools you can buy from the shelf at tandy. In fact the same basket weave stamp number, sans the X or Z or what ever is included to indicate they came from kits... And the same basket weave from the shelf are two different sizes. I had one bend... another member had one break in the middle of a project.

As a beginner I think the kit is fine for you. Just understand that your first projects are not so likely to turn out perfect. Eco Flo dyes and finishes give some people fits and you'll hear a lot of "get rid of that eco flo crap" which has some validity.

Still when you feel ready to move to the next step and buy better tools, go for the best quality you can afford. You can always donate these tools to the local scout troop... or veteran's home, or wounded warrior program.

I hope this helps... but ultimately you and your wallet will have to decide what's right for you. ;)

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll start out with the kit and go from there. :)

I met another customer at my local Tandy shop, and he told me that he had a tool of his break that was many years old, and they replaced it for free. He told me he didn't have the reciept or anything. So I don't know if they do that all the time or not, but doesn't hurt to ask. By the way, my name is Chris. I just started leather working a week ago with the deluxe starter kit as well.

they replaced it for free

Yes, I called my local Tandy and asked if they would replace the tool and they did... they even sent it to me rather than asking me to drive into the city. :)

When I started out all I bought were Tandy tools and over time i've slowing been replacing them with osborne tools (i.e. bevelers, needles, awl, chisels, etc.). IMO, osborne tools are the next tier up from Tandy and when I need to I'll replace those and move up another tier (i.e. Barry King, Douglas, etc.). I don't regret buying the tandy tools as that's all I could afford at the time and i really didn't know what else was out there, this was before I discovered this forum.

I've read posts from other forum members, in other threads, suggesting to save up and spend the extra money on better quality non tandy tools and to some degree I would I aggree with those posts. However, I feel a got my moneys worth out of those tandy tools as I was just learning how to use them and now I can really appreciate the difference in the quality of the tools.

If your interested in Osborne tools checkout, http://www.campbell-randall.com/ , they carry a pretty wide selection and in most instances cost less than if you are buying the same tool directly from Osborne.

Sean,

If you are not sure you wil stay in leather, by all means, Tandy is a place to start. If you know you are going to stay with it, buy the better quality tools. I would recommned that there is one item you should spend the money on that is worth it's weight in gold and that is a good round knife for cutting thicker leather.. Keep in mind that these are just my opinions and there are a lot of vendors out there and a lot of good people on this site that can help you. Bruce Johnson is well known and a wealth of information on this site and as said, he may have some tools for sale.

I do have some tools I could sell you that I used but have now replaced with better tools if your interested ;) Bev at DB Jones Saddlery, 715-896-3367

Recommend getting a subscription to the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal - leathercraftersjournal.com. I learned a lot from this magazine as well as attending the classes at it Sheridan WY trade show. Well worth the trip!!

For stamping tools - Barry King at barrykingtools.com As far as craft tools, look for the older ones, they will have just the number on the handle without the letter in front of the number. Those are the better ones. Also, if you stumble upon any old McMillen's or Gomph Hackbarth's in garage sales, buy them. They are worth a lot of money and are real gems too!

Swivel Knife - check out Paul's at leatherwranglers.com

Round Knife - Terry Knipschield at knipknives.com

Douglas Tools has some of the better older tools and I love getting the old awls from them. The new ones made now don't seem to work as well as the old ones.

If you get into the sewing machines later, if you come across a Juki or a Cobra, they are good machines.

For other items, I use Springfield Leather a lot and some stuff from Weaver. Ohio Travel Bag for hardware and Timco for conchos are good too..