KimRulien

best scissors for detail cutting

Hi here is another question for ya'll

I make guitar straps with inlay stones and cut outs etc... to do this I make my design and then score the leather with a box cutter knife, then I go in and cut it with scissors.

My question is this I am using regular dress makers Fiskars scissors...my hand gets tired and I was thinking there must me a better really REALLY sharp clipper type of thing for cutting the details that I need with a lot of control and less squeezing on the scissors. Any idea of a scissor that would work for me? I will try to attach pictures of the detail I need to acomplish.

thanks in advance for any help!

agate_bass_clef.jpg

amber.jpg

cutting_designs.jpg

in_process.jpg

post-7904-1229018379_thumb.jpg

post-7904-1229018423_thumb.jpg

post-7904-1229018528_thumb.jpg

post-7904-1229018567_thumb.jpg

have you tried an xacto knife on a ofla cutting surface ? it will work

for the inlays that you are doing.

A #3 surgeon's scalpel with a #11 blade.

A #3 surgeon's scalpel with a #11 blade.

well I use an olfa mat and I guess my blade can cut thru easily but the buffalo is soft and to be exact I definately like just scoring with a scapel or blade...it is the scissors I am really needing...but some special kind that works on thicker leathers as well and allows me more power for less squeeze so to speak. I just thought there might be a special type for leather!

well I use an olfa mat and I guess my blade can cut thru easily but the buffalo is soft and to be exact I definately like just scoring with a scapel or blade...it is the scissors I am really needing...but some special kind that works on thicker leathers as well and allows me more power for less squeeze so to speak. I just thought there might be a special type for leather!

Tandy just started carrying a pair of Gingher scissors that are razor sharp and they cut leather very well. I'm not sure what weight you are trying to cut though. Another side note, I stopped cutting on a self healing mat, because the mat tends to grab the blade and make the cutting a little harder. I use a poly cutting board now and it's soft enough not to damage the blade, but hard enough, not to collapse on the blade and grab it.