Sign in to follow this  
Happy Hooligan

Restored Stitching Horse

Well the little stitching pony I made works great for smaller projects but anything big or that bends it has a some issues.

So I wanted a bigger one to use and was going to make one, but thought about checking out ebay. I found this old head to a stitching horse probably from the mid to late 1800's. I got cheaper than if I made one but it need restored.

DSC01905.JPG

The gap didn't touch so I added two piece of oak to complete the clamp but discovered one side was a little warped over over the years so I added a wedge (all oak) to straighten it out. Just finished it last night with a coat of oil.

DSC02375.JPG

DSC02376.JPG

DSC02378.JPG

I think it's made of American Chestnut as I don't recognize the wood. It uses that hand level to push the sides away and they naturally clamp. I'll add some leather over the clamp parts to protect the leather. I added the stand so I can use it on the floor or between my legs on a chair.

I'm pretty happy so far with it, although I've not used it yet, but hope to this week.