Sign in to follow this  
junk

What Kind Of Leather Is This?

Hello, I'm kind of new to the leather thing and I don't really understand all the different kinds and what exactly is the kind I need. Basically I'm interested in creating some bags, but not the thick stiff leather bags. More of a softer leather. I don't want a lot of texture on the leather and I'm looking for light browns, medium browns, medium grays, and blacks. Attached is a closeup photo of some gray leather that is along the lines of what I have in mind. Any guidance you guys could offer me in this arena would be great. What type of cow leather will be able to get me something like I want? Is there any kind of process I'll need to apply to get the smooth minimal-texture look I want? Will I be able to buy the leather in the colors I want or will I need to look into dying it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really am new and very excited about learning more. Again, any help you could offer me would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

post-17454-033258800 1288156339_thumb.pn

post-17454-090051000 1288156403_thumb.pn

Good morning, Junk, Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

It sounds like you are after garment or chap leather, possibly lining leather. It is usually softer than vegetable tanned leather, and most times thinner. Take a look at some of our sponsor's websites (click the ad links at the top of the page) and you can get pics of the different types of leather.

When you see leather thickness listed in ounces (i.e. "5-6oz"), the "ounce" means 1/64th of an inch. So, 8oz leather is 8/64ths, or 1/8th inch thick.

Thank you very much for the reply TwinOaks. Is vegetable tanned leather available in lighter weights like 3oz (I'm just guessing that the leather in the photos is around 3oz)? Wouldn't that thickness be able to get me the softness I desire? Also, are garment/chap leathers as durable as vegetable tanned? Will I have to worry about them stretching out?

Yes, you can get vegtan in 3oz.

Most bags are made of chrome tanned leather, but some are made out of thicker bridle leather. Vegtan, until treated, will readily accept moisture, and upon drying, get harder. It's part of the method for shaping leather into holsters. Usually, if you see vegtan in a bag, it's as a sewn on (overlay/inlay) because the vegtan will take tooling. Ever see the really fancy floral patterns? Those are done on vegtan. If you've seen it on a purse, it's usually a separate piece that's been attached. Some bags, like the ones made by Ed Santoro (waldenbags.com), are a combination of bridle leather and vegtan.

Chrometan is certainly as durable as vegtan, depending on the use. Also, some leathers are tougher than others, depending on the animal. The reason so many braiders like Kangaroo lace is that it's incredible strong, allowing much thinner laces than cow hide for the same strength. As far as stretching, all leathers will stretch- it's preserved skin. The degree of stretch will depend on the usage.

Call the 800 # for Springfield leather (ad banner) during reg. bus. hours and talk to them, tell them what you want to do, and ask if they have any small pieces. They will even cut leather to get you the approximate size you want, and I believe the also offer splitting service to get you the thickness you want.

I just got a package from Springfield Leather and it had a piece of 2/3 oz veg/tan and it only cost a bit over $10, but I have a I think gold card account. That makes a difference on the price, but either way good clean stuff and very well priced. Billy P