Billsotx

Upholstery Leather

What kind of leather would be best to cover lawn or patio chairs? I want to recover a couple of director style, metal frame, chairs with a leather that will withstand UV as well as a little rain. They are canvas now which has frayed around the stitch-lines, but the frames are light enough to pack around and have lots of useful life.

Any tips of the type of leather and a source would be appreciated.

What kind of leather would be best to cover lawn or patio chairs? I want to recover a couple of director style, metal frame, chairs with a leather that will withstand UV as well as a little rain. They are canvas now which has frayed around the stitch-lines, but the frames are light enough to pack around and have lots of useful life.

I would probably suggest searching for marine upholstery leather since it is designed to stand up to more or less the same conditions you listed. I'm not entirely sure of a specific supplier off the top of my head, perhaps townsend leather?

Yours,

Rick

www.waterhouseleather.com

Thanks Rick. I appreciate the info.

You may want to consider using a marine-grade vinyl. I recently recovered my motorcycle seats with some Italian aniline leather, which didn't take the sun/heat (Houston, Texas) well at all.

sailrite.com has a big selection of outdoor fabrics and vinyl

Much obliged for this post. My father-in-law has an old upholstery that is in similar condition, will surely forward this information to him. Also I would suggest you look getting it sanitized, since I have been reading of the harmful effects germs mold in the carpets and upholstery can have on your health. For information, look into water damage restoration and upholstery cleaning. Hope this helps