viscontienzio

Looking To Hire Craftsman For English Bridle Leather Briefcase Satchel (Gussets)

Unfortunately a leather craftsman named R.F. Clark is no longer making his briefcases, he ran an online sop called the leather foundry, and R.F. Clark Sadderly. I missed him by a few months, if that, from the beginning of his retirement. Most briefcases made and used today are awful if not ghastly. It's worse than planned obsolescence and lowest common denominator thinking, the whole scale and market, of most things that are physically made today, are almost nothing to do with constant bettering and improvement of goods, but rather, how many different American body types can we fit per size per shirt and what is the quickest possible way to do so.

What I need is the very nearest thing I can find to his work. I'm very meticulous, I've scoured reams of the internet and ended up asking here for knowledge of the next closest artisan.

I don't like multiple-piece gussets sewn together, or thick crinkly gussets (leather needs to be thinner on gussets), it's an accordion not a statue, I don't like weak handles, a handle is why they call it a briefcase, it shouldn't be one thin strap if it holds 20 pounds should it, and it shouldn't be the opposite either, it should fit the closed space of a hand grasped. I like the bridle leather to be supple and I don't need it to be all hand-stitched, but certain parts of some designs require it. If it is a wrap around strap satchel, which is my preference, the straps shouldn't be very wide, and they don't require a lot of guiding. Triple gusseted at 6-7 inches deep total would be the ideal, not more.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=56533&hl=denmark

Jonasbo made an exceptional case, other than small differences, the leather is the only outstanding departure, which he knowingly comments on. The point being I don't need absolute perfection, although I've never seen better than Clark, but the workmanship is important, the details need to be on point. I'm willing to pay for it, but I think $3,000 or near it, or anything over $2,000 for the most part, is unreasonable or absurd. And I care nothing whatsoever for a brand of a name. Thank you very much for your suggestions and reference.

post-55033-0-94611400-1410106286_thumb.j

post-55033-0-44464800-1410106295_thumb.j

post-55033-0-72713900-1410106435_thumb.j

post-55033-0-73553800-1410112822_thumb.j

Dear Sir,
I had a good read of your post and find it very interesting. I'm a UK based Leather Craftsman and would very much like to take on the challenge. Quality is what in strive for and making one off bespoke items is a passion for me.

Have a look in my gallery, there's a few items in it that will give you an idea of the types of work I produce.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Godfrey

I have essentially found what I have been looking for. At least for the moment. I would still like to know anyone's suggestions or see anyone's work.

RF Clark, Ortus, Peal and Co, Trudall, Foster and Son, SAB, and so forth, those are what I'm really looking for, but of an individual craftsman still working.

Thank you for any responses.