SCOUTER

Bullet loops for Western Gunbelt...

Howdy- I am making a western style gun belt and I am ready to sew some bullet loops. The only problem is that I feel there must be a better way. People have told me that many times loops will stretch out causing lost cartridges. Has anyone come up with a way to add some bullets to the sides/back of a western gunbelt that looks good and works better?

I am toying with the idea of making a separate piece of leather with loops that I can snap on to the belt. Advantages-1- Can be repaired quickly. 2- Can use different ammo for different guns. It seems like a good idea but I wonder how it will keep close to the belt and not look like an add on.

Thanks for any imput! :whatdoyouthink:

Howdy- I am making a western style gun belt and I am ready to sew some bullet loops. The only problem is that I feel there must be a better way. People have told me that many times loops will stretch out causing lost cartridges. Has anyone come up with a way to add some bullets to the sides/back of a western gunbelt that looks good and works better?

I am toying with the idea of making a separate piece of leather with loops that I can snap on to the belt. Advantages-1- Can be repaired quickly. 2- Can use different ammo for different guns. It seems like a good idea but I wonder how it will keep close to the belt and not look like an add on.

Thanks for any imput! :whatdoyouthink:

Maybe you could use a bag punch, and have the ends of your "removable" loops go through the slots, and fasten on the back side of the belt? That way they might not look like an add on? Maybe put a little velcro underneath to keep the loop unit close?

I like your idea of snap on loops. Please post pics!

I have a bunch of western belts. I did not make them, but the ones I like best have what I guess is called a feedthrough style. The belt is 2 pieces sewn together. The loops are a long piece of leather that threads through slots in the outer cover of the belt. It is not attached but rather at the end the tang sticks through the inner part so you can adjust each loop and then pull the tang end to get rid of any slack.

I hope that makes sense.

Hans

I have made both the threaded loop type and the stitched loop type, I prefer the threaded loops because they are adjustable, especially if it is a belt for something large like shotgun shells etc. Use a slot punch to cut the holes, for small caliber use one slot per cartridge and loop the leather strap out and back into the same hole. for large shells use two slots. Make the loops pretty tight, and the wet form them. good luck.

I have made both the threaded loop type and the stitched loop type, I prefer the threaded loops because they are adjustable, especially if it is a belt for something large like shotgun shells etc. Use a slot punch to cut the holes, for small caliber use one slot per cartridge and loop the leather strap out and back into the same hole. for large shells use two slots. Make the loops pretty tight, and the wet form them. good luck.

I'm in agreement with Acadia Leather works, thats the way I've done them. Still havn't had any come back and no complaints. For the Cowboy action shooters around here. I made up a floating cartridge holder for 12 gauge that holds 4 shots, they used one on each side behind the holsters, or in front, where ever you wanted to put them. because they were large enough that they would float over even the buckle in front. I just used a 1" bag punch for the loops, as discribed above. Only to keep the shells high up in the slots, (for easy and quick access) I sewed a heavy piece of leather across the bottom so the shells couldn't slide down. If you can imagine it, it almost closed off the holes at the bottom. I have a picture around here somewhere, ask and I may be able to find you one.

I have done it both ways quite a few times, sewn the loops, and used a bag punch and fed it through and back on the same bag punch slot.

The main problem I have found with the slot/loop method is that the loops tend to stretch over time, if used a lot. Then there is no way to tighten the leather loops, especially if you have 24 loops on the belt.

When you use the sewn loop method, you can add a line of stitches in between the others to tighten up a loop or two. If that makes sense.

Also, with either method, when you form the loops with the belt flat the loops tend to tighten when put around your waist. If you form when curved and they are nice and tight, then you lay it flat and turn it upside down, all your bullets fall out. SO, try to form the loops when the belt is flat, that way the leather loops will tend to stretch just enough on their own when you put it around your waist.

The loop/bag punch method looks a lot cleaner though. You can get away without any stitching at all, but you also need to line the belt to make it look nice.

Hope this helps a little.

Could not find it, but I do remember a post with photos of a sewing method where the stitches continued from bottom of each loop at an angle to the top of the next behind the loop, was that lost in the crash or am I just no good at searching the forum? I mention it because it was a method that had a very clean finished look and was not as bulky looking as the slot and strap methods I have seen.

Did you ever find the picture / pattern / sketch of the shell belt loops withthe bottom sewn on to keep the shells up high in the loops? I am looking for ideas.

I'm in agreement with Acadia Leather works, thats the way I've done them. Still havn't had any come back and no complaints. For the Cowboy action shooters around here. I made up a floating cartridge holder for 12 gauge that holds 4 shots, they used one on each side behind the holsters, or in front, where ever you wanted to put them. because they were large enough that they would float over even the buckle in front. I just used a 1" bag punch for the loops, as discribed above. Only to keep the shells high up in the slots, (for easy and quick access) I sewed a heavy piece of leather across the bottom so the shells couldn't slide down. If you can imagine it, it almost closed off the holes at the bottom. I have a picture around here somewhere, ask and I may be able to find you one.

Chuck Burrows has posted several things about loops - do a search and you should pull up a few. Here's one of his that's riveted: zambiasi