shooter55

Singer 201-2 Help.

New to the forum, so please forgive any novice questions.

I have a Singer 201-2 gear drive machine made in 1947. Pristine shape and no mechanical issues what-so-ever. I have been hand sewing my leather work and although it looks nice, I'd like to speed things up a bit. I know that this is not the optimal machine for holster work, but I wanted to ease into a less expensive machine to see how I do before making a major purchase.

My question are these.

1. What would you recommend for leather weight (using a double thickness) I have tried 6 oz. and it seems to sew once it gets going.

2. What would be the suggested needle sizes (min/max) for this kind of work.

3. What size thread should be used. Both minimum and maximum.

4. Are there suggestions for accessories on this for holster work? (walking foot, guide etc.)

5. What would be the logical next step in a machine without breaking the bank.

I am just a hobbyist right now, but may delve into custom work for sale in the distant future.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tim

Six oz chrome tanned with a leather point needle size 12 or 14 using 69, 46, or 33 thread, as you go to smaller thread, use a smaller needle. These are not the greatest heavy duty machines and you will ultimately cook the motor. A 31-15 or 31-20 or higher will be a better machine that will do limited service on veg tan with more substantial (138) thread. Sticking with 138, a 111-15? or a 153-101 will do somewhat better. These can all be had in excellent condition for less than $500. usually substantially less.

Holster work will require a larger machine like the Juki 441 or clone line.

There is no such thing as an "Industrial Strength" machine, there are consumer (aka Commercial) and Industrial; stay away from anyone describing a machine as "Industrial Strength".

Art

This is a home machine. At the time, probably the best home machine on the market. It was used for garments back in the day but you could also sew light leather. Be careful for "ply slippage". Steve

Sorry Steve but at the time it was introduced - 1930's - the Germans were already building much better machines.

The most notable thing about the 201 is that it had reverse! It was also a rotary but Singer kept building the W&W rotary for a number of years after they bought them out.

Even though they had no reverse the White rotary was a better machine and the Free VS nailed anything anyone else ever built for smoothness and quietness.

Many machines from Standard and National were better built and finished with many variations of design and even colour.

But, when it comes down to it, the German companies had reverse on their VS machines before the turn of the century and had many wonderful design variations.

When it was released the 201 was a very good machine, probably the best Singer built, but they were still building the same thing 30 years later when it was obsolete and a base model Pfaff 30 or even a Czech Minerva - the company that now builds Adler machines - could sew rings around it. The various 15 style German machines in the 20's were simpler to service and built like tanks which is not odd considering many of these companies built tank parts in the late 1930's.

This is a home machine. At the time, probably the best home machine on the market. It was used for garments back in the day but you could also sew light leather. Be careful for "ply slippage". Steve

Hi Darren,

Well, not quite built like tanks, the German tanks used the Maybach motors and an 88mm cannon, otherwise quite similar.

I think you are forgetting the Swiss, they made excellent machines with many firsts. Bernina and Elna all made excellent machines totally unlike the crud everyone is building for the home market today, although they still are innovators.

Singer's forte as marketing, manufacturing to back it up, and globalization. For price, useability, and availability, Singer was No.1, at least here in the U.S.

Art

The various 15 style German machines in the 20's were simpler to service and built like tanks which is not odd considering many of these companies built tank parts in the late 1930's.

Without doubt Singer was the best at marketing and globalising production was a brilliant move that also gave the board a great reason to ship IM Singer off to Europe where his personal life would not be considered so scandalous!

Philip Diehl was the man who made their manufacturing work as early on every machine had to be hand fitted then disassembled, painted and rebuilt. Diehl had to fight Singer and the board to introduce the "arsenal" system where parts were interchangeable

SInger wanted to "put a sledgehammer through" the prototype of the 12 but he relented and of course it really established the household market. The 15 and 27 probably would not have been the success they were if the 12 had not paved the way.

Hi Darren,

Well, not quite built like tanks, the German tanks used the Maybach motors and an 88mm cannon, otherwise quite similar.

I think you are forgetting the Swiss, they made excellent machines with many firsts. Bernina and Elna all made excellent machines totally unlike the crud everyone is building for the home market today, although they still are innovators.

Singer's forte as marketing, manufacturing to back it up, and globalization. For price, useability, and availability, Singer was No.1, at least here in the U.S.

Art

Hey Darren. I worked for Singer so I am partial to the 201, however I do agree that the Pfaff 130 was the best Zig Zag machine ever made. Steve

I am partial to the 201 myself but the Pfaff 30, Minerva and various other central bobbin machines will eat a 201 for breakfast and shit out 66's.

Hey Darren. I worked for Singer so I am partial to the 201, however I do agree that the Pfaff 130 was the best Zig Zag machine ever made. Steve

I am partial to the 201 myself but the Pfaff 30, Minerva and various other central bobbin machines will eat a 201 for breakfast and shit out 66's.

Awesome, I almost pissed myself!