Braidin Cows

4 Strand Ring Knot

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could direct me where to find or if they had directions for a 4 strand ring knot. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. I appreciate all the effort everyone puts into this forum.

I took some pictures a couple of weeks ago with the plan to do a tutorial. I'll try to get it done soon.

bg's encyclopedia of braiding...pg 155 i think thats what you are looking for....bg just called them rein knots

yes i was correct that is the rein knot from bruce grants books i thought everyone used those under their knots....

Edited by roo4u

Nice work megabit. Picture 6 is a bit blurry though.

B...

Here are the photos for the tutorial, they might help. photos

yes i was correct that is the rein knot from bruce grants books i thought everyone used those under their knots....

Just about the same, but this has the strings going all the way through the body of what you are putting the button on vs just under a single string or two. If because of the core it is impracticable to push straight through the body you can put it under 2 or 3 strings to get them coming out at 90deg angles.

well i mostly use the 2 strand knot and i always put it thru the middle of the braid so that it cant shift at all. the 4 strand version can be a bit difficult to get thru the middle if you have a fairly solid core...

well i mostly use the 2 strand knot and i always put it thru the middle of the braid so that it cant shift at all. the 4 strand version can be a bit difficult to get thru the middle if you have a fairly solid core...

Cool so we are completely talking about the same knot. Grants book just show putting under a string or so. I put two strands threw the core and that gives me four working ends or four strands. Which sounds like what you do too.

yes...exactly! i found that when i tried to just put the strands under instead of thru i couldnt get it nice and even and when i was a rookie it was easier to follow my steps if everything was even.

Thanks megabit for uploading- great foundation for my nosebutton knots...

Ok, so I have tried this knot so many times it makes me sick that I cant get it to work. I understand the concept completely, but when I try to tie this with something other than nylon, you have a grain side you have to worry about. I have a set of reins started that are 12 strand, and cant figure this knot out. If you follow Grants book, I dont understand first off how he runs the strands through the braid because you will (for the 4 strand knot) have 2 that run to the left and 2 that run to the right, making crowning impossible. He also does nothing with the working ends in the actual knot, so if you grab a hold of the knot and twist it, the buried ends will just come out and the knot will be loose. With a leather core in these reins, I cant exactly push the strands completely through the core and even if I did, I would still have half the strands' grain facing the wrong direction. I want to put ring knots between pineapple knots on these, and maybe use ring knots for the foundations of the pks, so they need to be SECURE.

Sorry if this is confusing, I cant get it wrapped the right way in my head to begin with lol.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

CW

So I get that this is a way to get a two tone knot, but is there any other reason to use more than one strand? And those pics are great megabit, but I'm still wondering what you do to hide the ends when you're done? It seems like a lot of ends left over to hide for such a small knot.

This particular knot is used for a foundation knot and then is covered by another knot that would be the final knot.

B...

Ah... I see. Well, that should make a solid foundation all right.

the reason for the 4 ends on this knot is to get even coverage of a larger area...i have used the 2 strand for years on my dog leashes....it will only work for a certain circumference and so you use the 4 strand for a larger circumference. as bg is only using this as a foundation he does not concern himself with grain/flesh side. What i usually do is twist the strand as i bring it out from under or out thru the braid i am putting the knot on.

when braiding with rawhide you simply pull it tight and it is good to go...however when using it as a decorative knot with kangaroo I always use a tiny bit of elmers glueall...which is a casein glue and bonds with the fibers of leather. put just a tiny bit on the flesh side of the last strand before you pull it tight...the area of the glue should be buried in the knot after it is pulled tight. this will keep the knot from coming loose. My leashes last for years with this method of finishing the knot...even when the leash stretches from use.

Knothead hit it right on the head. I mostly use this as a foundation that won't slide up or down. If you are careful you can get it all grain side out, you might need to put a half twist in when you start. If you are going to use it on the outside instead of as a foundation, I generally push the ends out the top of the knot instead of the middle. Under 4 instead of two and cut them off close.

Mike