Sign in to follow this  
particle

Eco-Flo Pro Waterstains - Airbrush Accents Over It?

With most of my coloring, I apply my dyes with an airbrush, to include the base color and airbrushed accents around the edges. I've been happy with the smooth appearance of the coloring, but worry the penetration may not be enough. I recently cut and dyed multiple pieces for a messenger / laptop bag. I didn't want to airbrush it, but have very little experience with any other method. So, I used a piece of the yellow shearling cut in about a 2" square, dipped it in the dye and applied it by hand. BIG mistake... The coloring is extremely inconsistent and way too heavy in places. To salvage it, I dyed it again so everything is the same darkness. Not the color of final look I was after...

This all got me to thinking about the Eco-Flo Professional Waterstains. I just watched the video on Tandy's website again showing its use, and it looks super easy to apply. Plus, I like the fact that it's safer to use than the Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes I've been spraying in my garage (I do wear a respirator). I may buy a bottle of the stuff to try, but wanted to confirm something first...

I need to maintain the ability to airbrush accent colors around the edges of my holsters. Can I still airbrush the Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes over this Eco-Flo stain? Since the Eco-Flo product is a "blend of natural and synthetic waxes", I'm not sure how well the airbrushed Pro Oil dyes will take to the leather once the Eco-Flo Waterstain is applied.

With most of my coloring, I apply my dyes with an airbrush, to include the base color and airbrushed accents around the edges. I've been happy with the smooth appearance of the coloring, but worry the penetration may not be enough. I recently cut and dyed multiple pieces for a messenger / laptop bag. I didn't want to airbrush it, but have very little experience with any other method. So, I used a piece of the yellow shearling cut in about a 2" square, dipped it in the dye and applied it by hand. BIG mistake... The coloring is extremely inconsistent and way too heavy in places. To salvage it, I dyed it again so everything is the same darkness. Not the color of final look I was after...

This all got me to thinking about the Eco-Flo Professional Waterstains. I just watched the video on Tandy's website again showing its use, and it looks super easy to apply. Plus, I like the fact that it's safer to use than the Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes I've been spraying in my garage (I do wear a respirator). I may buy a bottle of the stuff to try, but wanted to confirm something first...

I need to maintain the ability to airbrush accent colors around the edges of my holsters. Can I still airbrush the Fiebing's Pro Oil dyes over this Eco-Flo stain? Since the Eco-Flo product is a "blend of natural and synthetic waxes", I'm not sure how well the airbrushed Pro Oil dyes will take to the leather once the Eco-Flo Waterstain is applied.

I haven't tried that myself yet but from working with the two mediums previously in theory it shouldn't work out well. Stains are a heavy pigment top coat that semi-seal the pores of the leather whereas a dye penetrates and leaves the colorant in the cell structures of the leather. Using a Stain over a dye works (I have tried them this way) as the dye penetrates and then the stain seals over it. However, the oil dyes have a light solvent and the waterstains are well, water based, so the dye won't be able to penetrate as well and due to the solvent action of it's carrier medium will likely discolor the waterstain in an aura type effect around the intended area. You'll also have quite a bit of rub off as the oil dye will sit on the top longer and as it takes forever to fully dry being oil based, yuo'll likely have to wait days + to apply a top coat sealer like resolene.

Now, this is just materials theory based on past experiences so you might want to give it a spin but you plan to use the waterstains for the main coloring, yuo'll have better luck adding highlights and accents with thinned down acrylics or air brush paints with an acrylic sealer sprayed over.

Chris

Edited by Spinner