Some folks are just Psycho.....this is the second attempt at this job, first one was kind of a crash and burn

used three diff. background textures...

some fun colors....some airbrushy stuff on the inside..

....a neat stainless chain mail chain...

steveb

violation12__Medium_.jpg

violation13__Medium_.jpg

violation14__Medium_.jpg

violation15__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204421398_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204421425_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204421447_thumb.jpg

post-5-1204421461_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna
reduced pic sizes

Nice ! I like the diff backgrounds and the triple layer border. Did you use paint or dye on the letters and flames ?

I always use dye, never paint..

and usually try and build a complex border when the overall design allows...

violation16__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204421512_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johanna

Very nice.. I love that pebbley sting ray looking backgrounder, I have to get a set of that for myself so I'll stop borrowing it from a friend of mine. ;)

The byzantine weave chain looks nice, the closures look to be pretty flush. Nicely made. Did you do it? Do you do much else in the way of chainmail? (I've been into chainmail for at least twice as long as I've been a leatherworker)

Also, I must know - The stamp of a head knife crossed by two mallets... is that a personal maker-type stamp? If so, love the design, and it's very nifty. If it's not a "personal" stamp... where'd you get it??? I would love to add something like that to my ever-growing leatherwork tool set.

-Noc

awesome work, even extra up-close your stitching is perfect. Can you tell me where to get the "pebbly stingray looking" backgrounder?

Kooowell!

I GOT DIZZY COUNTING JUST HOW MANY TOOLS DID YOU USE? :crazy:

:cheers:

Edited by Luke Hatley

Very nice.. I love that pebbley sting ray looking backgrounder, I have to get a set of that for myself so I'll stop borrowing it from a friend of mine. ;)

The byzantine weave chain looks nice, the closures look to be pretty flush. Nicely made. Did you do it? Do you do much else in the way of chainmail? (I've been into chainmail for at least twice as long as I've been a leatherworker)

Also, I must know - The stamp of a head knife crossed by two mallets... is that a personal maker-type stamp? If so, love the design, and it's very nifty. If it's not a "personal" stamp... where'd you get it??? I would love to add something like that to my ever-growing leatherwork tool set.

-Noc

Thanks - i use the pebbly thing alot, although is getting a little played which is why i try mixing it up with other textures when i think i can,

personally, i find that much more interesting to do from a hand work perspective and feel...

the texture gives good "hand" to the owner -I like it when i can really work the leather texture wise...

check out the back of that wallet - thats a bunch of tools and techniques at work there

the chain comes form a guy who inquired about leather work from me, he was a re-enactor or something like that as i recall and i made him a fandangler for his get-up and he traded me for a few chains, in brass and stainless, you know how those medieval guys are, always short on cake...ha.... - I could never in a million years do anything nearly as detailed as that chin, shit makes me dizzy - no way - i will leave that to the rocket scientists...

that crossed mallets stamp is mine, all mine!! - and as of last Oct, I had it trademarked...

so if you ever see it on a piece that didn't come from yours truly - let me know please!

thanks all of you for the kind words,

persnoally i am getting to the point where i need to cut some time out of my

workflow and craft a few new designs - I have been so busy with simply keeping up,

I am missing the innovation part of this craft...

i need like 2mos to simply design a few new [pieces, and i dont see that happening... its a blessing and a curse being busy with paying work

I need a 29hr day!!

steveb

2 parts imagination 1 part non traditional tool work 5 parts pure work effort...great job.

I GOT DIZZY COUNTING JUST HOW MANY TOOLS DID YOU USE? :crazy:

:cheers:

lol - i dont know Luke - my whole rack is pretty small, so at most- it aint impressive!

i dont do a test, i dont have a plan, i just work an idea - i have in my head, i go after a feel i want the holder to

experience when he picks it up, it is more about the feel, less about the

actual "look" and appearance of the piece... it is why i use great materials, deep and dramatic tooling and diff finishes

kinda weird huh - most of us go for visual appeal,

i like my work to have a tactile point of difference since my art skills suck and I understand

texture better from a handwork and personal "using tools" skills perspective

sometimes this quest for a tactile idea turns into a indecipherable

piece o crap, sometimes it comes out just as i planned - and that for me, is the fun of it

steveb

I LOVE it! Well done!

The texture is amazing!

~Tammy

awesome work, even extra up-close your stitching is perfect. Can you tell me where to get the "pebbly stingray looking" backgrounder?

the stitiching is courtesy of my old cast iron Boss- 277 thread top & bottom

, the backgrounder is from Bob Beard

juts 1 word.....

O U T S T A N D I N G!!!!!!!

Good looking work Steve. I still want to know where you get your other types of chains from. I'll have to check out some Bob Beard tools.

That's a real kewl wallet. I just love the stuff you do with the backgrounds and were looking around for some of your work two days ago when I was about to do some additional backgrounding to the Motörhead skull I'm working on but couldn't find any. Solved it cautiosly.

So I'm looking forward to see more of your stuff and those wild blends of colours of yours.

Great stuff!

Tom

That's thinking outside the box! Great creativity I love the combinations..I'm still working from tutorials..have'nt experimented yet.

Bryn

OK, the wallet is turbo-sweet. I dig it with a shovel! But the little sample of borderwerken is almost mind-numbing. Wow. yeah, I know it's just a few simple stampings, but... just LOOK at it! You are going for a texture thing, well it's got some visual kick too. you definitely DO have an artistic eye, don't fool yourself. Wicked cool stuff.

Brent