LewSchiller

Is There Such A Thing As A Cylinder Arm Machine That Sews Parallel To The Arm?

Wow - really showing my ignorance here but advanced age brings with it the abandonment of embarassment :-)

For what we're doing - in an ideal world - we'd have a cylinder arm machine in as small a diameter as possible that allowed the operator to sew into the arm from the end.

Material is actually 3mm Neoprene but +- 8oz leather will also be used in a later iteration.

So...does such a machine exist?

Edited by LewSchiller

I'll admit to a similar level of ignorance on the subject, but doesn't a "shoe patch" machine do exactly what you are asking?

Yes, how many do you want? Do a search with the phrase "sew up the arm". Yes a patcher will sew up the arm, but not the thickness he is talking about.

Edited by Geneva

If you could find it a Singer 11-23 would be the machine you want.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html

All you need is the right search term :-)

But there is more than one meaning to "sew up the arm" (eeewwww!)

I see the Techsew 2900 would be perfect for this task. Perhaps the Artisan 4011.

In the short run - leather aside - it would appear this little beauty would do the trick as well - for $305!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2eca1b8396

Edited by LewSchiller

I'd leave the ebay one alone for several reasons. 1 where are you going to get parts if you need them ? ( seems i read that they are made in India) 2 no dealer support 3 it's to much money for what you get. If you want a patch machine i would get a Singer or Adler. With them you can get most of your money back if what your wanting to doesn't work out. JMO

Machines that feed up the arm are called "transverse feed" machines. Some are very old designs, others are brand new. All are more expensive than similar across the arm machines. Contact our dealers and see if any of them have a transverse feed machine in working condition, for sale.

If you can find a good working Singer or Adler patcher, or a good clone, buy it. The Adler 30-7 and 30-70 sew thicker material than the Singer 29s. But, a new Claes patcher outsews them all!

We usually call them feed around the arm, or feed up the arm. This helps keep confusion down. Not many, as this type of machine is an odd duck to begin with. New are quite expensive. I have a few 11 class machines around here collecting dust that I have been walking by for the past 15 years.

We use a few different ones which are referred to as "feed off the arm" machines. Two of them are chainstitch machines, one the Singer 261, the other a Union Special 35800. Both are widely used on jeans providing a two or sometimes 3 needle chainstitch configuration for closing the inseam on jeans as well as closing the sleeves on heavy denim jackets. Seam contruction is flat-felling where there is no raw edge. I'm currently using a Singer 261 to close the sleeves on a leather welding jacket we're making for the Navy. Since it's a chainstitch machine, there's no bobbin which is good for production. Not really suited for sewing leather on a small scale as their use is quite specialized. As with any chainstitch, the end must be secured with a bartack to keep the chain from coming out. On the welding jackets, we're bartacking across the seam as well as a rivet. The attached pic is the Singer 261 table mount feed off the arm machine.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-83768500-1378349009_thumb.j

HI, yes that is my machine, and yes I admit it is expensive. Had to bring it out from Germany so you can imagine the cost. Its on ebay so they take the first $250.... I'm open to offers. I dont expect anyone in the States to buy it, so I can talk about it without you feeling I'm trying to sell it to you. I searched for quite some time to find this machine, previously only had photos of one, its in mint condition and on a beautiful treadle. When you see the quality of the castings and the metal work around the machine you can really appreciate the craftsmanship, if you love machines, you'll fine just running your hands over it is pleasurable. I do also have a Singer 11 class coming from England, I bought it as an unknown machine and was hoping it might be an 11-20 which would make it a nice long arm walking foot machine, however it may also turn out to be a grommet machine or an up the arm machine.